2005-Post your assessment/exam marks here. (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Adam said:
Sorry, marks matter at uni?

News to me. I'm very happy with the breathing space a credit average gives me.
haha, well I need a D to transfer, after this semester though I couldn't give a rats arse so long as I'm passing.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh excellent. we can be need a d to transfer buddies. As of next year I will adopt the same approach. I really hate being studious. Stupid transfering.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately i need to keep my average up or i get kicked out of my degree, hence i dont have those same options :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
IT, he probably needs like credits. In the end I know I'm gonna end up wanting to work towards an HD average anyway, but it's just not nice to have the pressure of needing one.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hahahah an HD average. That's the talk of ancient mythology. There's no such thing.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
guys i think the point of the talk about d's and HD'S being impossible isn't that they ARE unachievable, of course good marks exist at uni. perhaps its just that (at least in my experience) they're a little harder to attain than at HS, esp. in terms of numerical comparison- i got plenty of full marks for assessments in yr 12, doubt that would be the case at uni ever

WHO FUCKING CARES ANYWAY, passes still make a degree

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Yes I do IT, credit minimum average. The credit average isnt the part that sucks, the part that sucks is that any subject that i get < a credit for doesnt count towards my credit points, meaning i have to either repeat that same subject or make up for it somewhere else.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
guys i think the point of the talk about d's and HD'S being impossible isn't that they ARE unachievable, of course good marks exist at uni. perhaps its just that (at least in my experience) they're a little harder to attain than at HS, esp. in terms of numerical comparison- i got plenty of full marks for assessments in yr 12, doubt that would be the case at uni ever

WHO FUCKING CARES ANYWAY, passes still make a degree
Yeah, but a BE(Hons) looks better than a BE, and takes the same amount of time but just requires a higher average.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
withoutaface said:
Yeah, but a BE(Hons) looks better than a BE, and takes the same amount of time but just requires a higher average.
and i really believe that to an employer, any B with relevant experience is better than a B Hons, so maybe you're all focussing on the wrong thing

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes, but a first-ring employer would prefer to employ someone with an honours degree, especially in a competitive industry. Many recruitment companies do actually look at your average, especially when recruiting to big firms.
I just think that it's easier to get started off in a large company and work your way up within its structure. Failing that, many other smaller companies will want you in a higher position.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well i was referring to your first job straight from uni, that they'd prefer experience over the honours provided the experience was relevant and extensive - really how can you argue that? particularly if the employer has already established a rapport with the student through work experience or somesuch. of course a grade average is fantastic, but from the viewpoint of the employer isnt it equally as important to know that the potential employee is actually going to be able to APPLY the skills theyve learnt, not just that they've got good grades.

i dunno, my brother graduated last year, had a mediocre grade average and was the first person in his year group to secure a full-time position in his industry - due to his experience

of course grades are important, there's no doubting that, i'm just trying to provide a little alternative for the grade-obsessed nutters, for fucks sake, were all going to get a job anyway

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Keep in mind that we all aren't after a job, though. Well, yes we are, yet for some it isn't a priority. Besides, the skills that one would gain in researching and writing a thesis (if that happens to be the nature of the Honours system for that degree) aren't to be dismissed so easily in favour of experience. Of course, we should also remember that for many degrees/careers you are for all intents and purposes lost without an Honours year (Science research, for example), yet for others it would be the experience that you need more so than an additional year of study (a vocationalised commerce degree, for example).

You should all take an Honours year (or aim for an Honours level degree) if possible. It may well kill you in more ways than one, yet that's something that we should all experience from time to time. I'm taking an Honours year in Science, by the way.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
well i was referring to your first job straight from uni, that they'd prefer experience over the honours provided the experience was relevant and extensive - really how can you argue that? particularly if the employer has already established a rapport with the student through work experience or somesuch. of course a grade average is fantastic, but from the viewpoint of the employer isnt it equally as important to know that the potential employee is actually going to be able to APPLY the skills theyve learnt, not just that they've got good grades.

i dunno, my brother graduated last year, had a mediocre grade average and was the first person in his year group to secure a full-time position in his industry - due to his experience

of course grades are important, there's no doubting that, i'm just trying to provide a little alternative for the grade-obsessed nutters, for fucks sake, were all going to get a job anyway
But how do we get job experience if the companies employing us are asking for experience for first-years?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
u get hons if u have a distinction average

i know that's for law and engineering anyway, part of the criteria for a distinction in law is "no errors" - pretty blunt ey

so if i make no errors for 6 years i'll get honours :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)