N/A
answers:

i) 1/(n+1)
ii) (-1)^n/(2n-1)

ps these solutions are a page, what part exactly

香港!

HSC
roxy_chick said:
Hey, I am stuck on all of this....does anyone have the answers for it? thanks....
Is that the integration one?
I_n=int. tan^n x dx {0 to pi\4}
i) I_n+I_(n+2)=int.[ tan^n x dx+ tan^(n+2) x] dx {both 0 to pi\4}
=int. tan^n x(1+tan²x) dx
=int. tan^n x sec²x dx
=int. tan^n x d(tanx) {0 to pi\4}
=[tan^(n+1) x \ (n+1)]
apply the terminals to get 1\(n+1)

roxy_chick

HSC
香港! said:
Is that the integration one?
I_n=int. tan^n x dx {0 to pi\4}
i) I_n+I_(n+2)=int.[ tan^n x dx+ tan^(n+2) x] dx {both 0 to pi\4}
=int. tan^n x(1+tan²x) dx
=int. tan^n x sec²x dx
=int. tan^n x d(tanx) {0 to pi\4}
=[tan^(n+1) x \ (n+1)]
apply the terminals to get 1\(n+1)
yep, thanks

HSC
I couldn't be bothered with all the working, so I'll tell you the main thing to do for each part:
i) Work out In+2 using integration by parts and then take the In across to the other side.

ii) Use the given thing for Jn to work out Jn - Jn-1 and then use the result u proved in i), only the values for n are a little different.

iii) with the sigma notation part, replace the thing after the sigma sign with Jn - Jn-1 since it was proved in part ii), and then work out the sum of all those things, and u will find that almost all the terms cancel out. What u are left with is Jo and Jm. Work out Jo and it equals pi on 4.

iv) Just a normal substitution integral

v)In is greater than 0 because between x= 0 and 1 from iv), In is always positive or equal to zero. Using part i), In = 1/(n+1) - In+2. since In+2 is always positive (like In), In<=1/(n+1).

From the given formula for In, between x = 0 and pi on 4, tanx is less than one, thus for tanx to the power of n, as n gets larger, every value for tanx to the power of n gets smaller and smaller and thus as n approaches infinity, In and also I2n approahces 0. From the formula provided of Jn, since I2n is approaching zero, Jn also approaches zero.

roxy_chick

HSC
underthebridge said:
I couldn't be bothered with all the working, so I'll tell you the main thing to do for each part:
i) Work out In+2 using integration by parts and then take the In across to the other side.

ii) Use the given thing for Jn to work out Jn - Jn-1 and then use the result u proved in i), only the values for n are a little different.

iii) with the sigma notation part, replace the thing after the sigma sign with Jn - Jn-1 since it was proved in part ii), and then work out the sum of all those things, and u will find that almost all the terms cancel out. What u are left with is Jo and Jm. Work out Jo and it equals pi on 4.

iv) Just a normal substitution integral

v)In is greater than 0 because between x= 0 and 1 from iv), In is always positive or equal to zero. Using part i), In = 1/(n+1) - In+2. since In+2 is always positive (like In), In<=1/(n+1).

From the given formula for In, between x = 0 and pi on 4, tanx is less than one, thus for tanx to the power of n, as n gets larger, every value for tanx to the power of n gets smaller and smaller and thus as n approaches infinity, In and also I2n approahces 0. From the formula provided of Jn, since I2n is approaching zero, Jn also approaches zero.

Thanks heaps!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)