2004 cutoff? (1 Viewer)

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
hmmm. I didn't know that either. Thanx Laz!

addz

HSC
i got 0.25 above this years cutoff
wish i knew how far it would go up...too much suspense...since i cant make sydney uni

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
its pretty ridiculous that a course can have a cut off of 99.7 etc, no wonder people who get 60s and 70s feel like they have no options, i missed out on usyd law by 0.15 an now have no idea wat to do.. imagine spending years wanting to grow up and do law or be a doctor etc and then realising only the top 0.3 or whatever percent of the population your age will be able to

one girl at my school that got 100 UAI, got accepted for one of those UNSW actuarial studies co op scholarships, then after being accepted rings up another person that was accepted to ask what an actuary actually was.

so even tho she has no drive to be an actuary, shes taken the place of someone who may have scored lower UAI but had the goal of becomin an actuary or getting the co op thing.

i hear its the same with medicine and law, people who get huge UAIs but dont get through the UMAT and interviews for medicine just do law instead, even tho theyre completely different careers

Last edited:

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
yeah, i always wanted to do it at sydney, so i did 4u eng, eco, modern, humanities subjects.. on the 18th seeing peoples marks that are lower, so i think, maybe i could get in, but then on the 19th they get higher 99.7 etc UAIs as they got low 90s for 4u maths, an i despite getting average of like 95, i missed out..

they need aptitude tests an shit to determine what people are more suited for at uni. that or some kind of interview system, similar for what they have for medicine

addz

HSC
they changed the way to get into medicine precisely because of 99.5-100 UAI/TER students who only did med because it was that high to get in. they didnt have the personal skills and other non-academic qualities to do so and generally these people were prolly dropped out mid-course.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Nick
one girl at my school that got 100 UAI, got accepted for one of those UNSW actuarial studies co op scholarships, then after being accepted rings up another person that was accepted to ask what an actuary actually was.
:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
asq... im deciding btw unsw n usyd atm... but heavily favouring unsw... lol... n seeing ur vocal advocacy for unsw... can u give me a list again of why unsw is better than usyd... thanx...

n oh yeh... once u accept ur offer... wot else do u have 2 do b4 march1st... eg... orientation... etc... n when are they... thanx again...

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Hey Asq, what's "black letter law"?
and is the usyd law library and faculty offices in their law place next to museum station?

Thanks

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
yeah, I went to St .James today. Thought I might ask something without the crowds around. And the guy was kinda cute haha.

Asquithian, convince me why I should do arts then try to transfer at unsw, rather than do that at usyd.

Let the propaganda come out in full force!

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Asquithian
gawd...there are heaps of reasons...

ive been to the usyd law campus...didnt impress me much at all
heaps of reasons??

How did it not impress you? Or you just didn't get good vibes?

I suppose a pro of going to unsw would be the presence of you in the university (may also be considered a con :p)

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
asq... i just got off the fone with my gf's mum's colleague... lol... n he told me that usyd gives more lenient marks than unsw... so it would b easer to obtain a distinction ave.
which uni gives out more lenient marks?

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
well u just said usyd has more linient marks :rolleyes:

id say unsw marking was reasinably harsh....then again ive got nothing to compare with
:rolleyes: alrite... that was a stupid question... but that dude went 2 school like 20yrs ago... so its likely 2 b outdated...

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
ruka, just out of curiosity, which would you prefer? to go somewhere where they mark more leniently, or the opposite? personally i;d avoid somewhere that is known for its lenient marking... you want to be challenged and better-prepared in the long-run, dont you??

deesele

HSC
i got 99.35..
am i going to miss out..
DHAKJHKJASHKJAHSDKJASHDKJASHDKJSAD..

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
ruka, just out of curiosity, which would you prefer? to go somewhere where they mark more leniently, or the opposite? personally i;d avoid somewhere that is known for its lenient marking... you want to be challenged and better-prepared in the long-run, dont you??
2 b honest i asked cos i thot itd b gud 2 have a distinction ave. so better employment opportunities etc... but after that... im not 2 sure...
i personally favour unsw but my rents are pushin me for usyd... im feelin angry that they're not supportin me even tho i worked my ass off the whole yr like thye wanted me to... but at the same time... its really making me think which uni i want to spend the next 5yrs of my life...
i want 2 do com/law next yr... n want 2 pursue the law profession...
ppl tell me that usyd's better if u want eventually 2 bcome a lawyer... but unsw just seems 2 me 2 have a much more friendly atmosphere... n a sunny environemnt as opposed 2 the drab monotony n rigidity of tradition at the usyd camperdown campus...

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
arse*

hey it sounds like you've already made up your mind with which uni you'd prefer to go to... and well this may sound pointless, but you will only end up going to one uni. and if you go to usyd, that means you won't be going to unsw.
my point is errrm.. if you go to usyd, it's pretty obvious that you'll be wondering what you missed out on at unsw. you want to be happy, but more than that- your parents need to know that just because the cut-off is lower, it doesn't mean you're settling for second best. imagine working hard enough to obtain a UAI that will get you into anything you want, only to end up somewhere else.

p.s. i know a few people who would NEVER contemplate doing anything other than usyd law simply because it's law and it's usyd. they didn't put any thought at all whatsoever in regards to making their choices. their parents and family friends and mailman probably went there, i hate to say this.. law is a prestigous course by itself, but perhaps there is more chance to run into fuckwits at usyd.

Last edited:

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
how long does the bus frm central take to get to UNSW

does it have its own bus lane or will traffic affect it..

cos the main reason im disinclined to go to UNSW is cos its further away, takes longer to get to than Usyd or UTS..

sugamama

Coldplay Fan
So Asq what's the deal here?

In your personal opinion do you think UNSW cutoffs will rise to 99.5 or .6?

Because before you said you heard rumours...

I got 99.6 and now I'm worried...

And Ruk my parents want the same I think but I really wanna go UNSW too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)