2004 CSSA trial strange questions... help!! (1 Viewer)

jang

is not my real name
HSC
question 7
the current flowing in a DC motor reduces while the motor's speed incrases. How can this change in current be accounted for?

answer:
b) the back emf reduces the resistance leading to a reduction in the dcurrent in the circuit
-edit- sorry wait the real answer is c) the increase in kinetic energy of the motor must be matched by a decrease in electrical energy in the circuit
(answer for (b) makes sense to me and i could choose b. but answer (c) talks bout conservation of energy -nonsense no? coz current is constantly being provided by an external circuit.. innit?

question 8
the question reads: what type of current would be produced by the motor? [there's a picture of a DC motor]

the choices are:
a) dc of constant magnitude
b) dc of varying magnitude
c) ac
d) none

... the answer is b.. which i dont get... it's a motor (they said motor atleast twice in q) :/ how does it make current? not that emf bs is it? (isnt emf only for ac?)

question 10
a coil is rotated in an area of constant magnetic flux density. which graph respresents the variatin of magnetic flux as the coil rotates?
all graphs in the answer have flux on the y axis and time on the x axis
a) [a flat graph (zero gradient) parallel to the x axis]
b) [sine graph]
c) [sine graph made of straight lines u get?]
d) [absolute value of sine graph]

if the magnetic flux density is constant, wouldnt the magnetic flux just remain constant?
the answer is b... WHY!

q17 (b)
theres a lot of numbers in this q. plz refer to it if u hav it -- for the initial calculation of the acceleration, wouldnt u hav to add 85kg (mass of man) to the mass of the rocket first as the thrust is acting on both the man and the rocket?

q18
observer A sits in te middle of a train travelling at ahigh speed past a railway station as shown in the the picture (i cant draw). Observer B stands on the station platform. Lightning strikes the front and back of the train at the moment observer A passes observer . Anaylse the statements of both observers regarding the order of lightning strikes (5 marks)

its about simultaneity, but inverted?? how would u answer this?

q23(b)analyse the competing technologies of edison and westinghouse for the supply of domestic electricity 5 marks

competing technologies? isnt the syll dot point: discuss the competition between these guys?

q25bthis question is just whack. we hav to find planck's constant from a graph with inacurrate data, and fullmarks are only allocated for deducing an accurate constant from the graph's slope

plz help solve these guysh!

Last edited:

Gesus

HSC
jang said:
question 7
the current flowing in a DC motor reduces while the motor's speed incrases. How can this change in current be accounted for?

answer:
b) the back emf reduces the resistance leading to a reduction in the dcurrent in the circuit
-edit- sorry wait the real answer is c) the increase in kinetic energy of the motor must be matched by a decrease in electrical energy in the circuit
(answer for (b) makes sense to me and i could choose b. but answer (c) talks bout conservation of energy -nonsense no? coz current is constantly being provided by an external circuit.. innit?
back emf reduces resistance??
A more correct answer would talk of both aspects. The Increase in kinetic energy must lead to a decrease in electrical energy for the conservation of energy. This leads to a backEMF forming, which is opposed to the current that created it, hence a resistance, and a lower current in the curcuit.

jang said:
question 8
the question reads: what type of current would be produced by the motor? [there's a picture of a DC motor]

the choices are:
a) dc of constant magnitude
b) dc of varying magnitude
c) ac
d) none

... the answer is b.. which i dont get... it's a motor (they said motor atleast twice in q) :/ how does it make current? not that emf bs is it? (isnt emf only for ac?)
If you look at the picture it shows a generator i think (dont have multichoice part)

jang said:
question 10
a coil is rotated in an area of constant magnetic flux density. which graph respresents the variatin of magnetic flux as the coil rotates?
all graphs in the answer have flux on the y axis and time on the x axis
a) [a flat graph (zero gradient) parallel to the x axis]
b) [sine graph]
c) [sine graph made of straight lines u get?]
d) [absolute value of sine graph]

if the magnetic flux density is constant, wouldnt the magnetic flux just remain constant?
the answer is b... WHY!
constant magnetic flux density just means two relativily stationary magnets, what we usually see on motor/gen diagrams. So when the coil rotates, the flux within the coil changes , making a AC emf.

andysoul

the answer to that same relativity/simultaniety question is currently under discussion in the 'space' forum, so far we haven't managed to agree :(

superbird

HSC
the CSSA Trial was fucked neways.
As for that back emf question, doesnt back emf only apply to AC motors?

helper

HSC
N/A
Back EMF is the EMF that is induced and lowers the current that produced it.

In other cases it is just an induced EMF as there is no current producing the motion that is causing the change in flux.

helper

HSC
N/A
Gesus said:
back emf reduces resistance??
An EMF does not change resistance. It changes the potential drops around the circuit.
If you are looking at in terms of resistance (which is wrong) then it would increase the resitance and lower the current.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
helper said:
An EMF does not change resistance. It changes the potential drops around the circuit.
If you are looking at in terms of resistance (which is wrong) then it would increase the resitance and lower the current.
yup worked out q.7 today.. indeed back emf has nothin to do with resistance.
also q8, the picture was a DC motor. im guessing that due to backemf, the motor produces a current that is AC? hmmm wH?A
q10 i tihnk was just worded wrong - if it said 'magnetic flux within the coil.. or somthin like that

Jase

HSC
for Q10 - if the Mag Flux DENSITY is constant, but the area that the coil cuts it changes... then the magnetic flux changes. Since flux = BA
and .. er.. its always a smooth sine graph for these kinda things.

Premus

by the way....

whats the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Thanks!

helper

HSC
N/A
jang said:
q23(b)analyse the competing technologies of edison and westinghouse for the supply of domestic electricity 5 marks

competing technologies? isnt the syll dot point: discuss the competition between these guys?
Its really impossible to discuss the competition without talking about the technologies AC and DC power generation, motors, transmission, safety etc.

helper

HSC
N/A
PremusDog said:
by the way....

whats the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Thanks!
Magnetic Flux is the amount of magnetic field lines cutting an area.
Magnetic Flux Density is the same as Magneitic field strength.
You can think of it as how close the lines are togeteher.

Premus

so in that formula

q = BA cos x

q is the magnetic flux
B is the Magnetic Flux Density / Magneitic field strength
A is the area

is that right?

oh and its not the amount of magnetic field lines PER area is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)