Joga Bonito
HSC
why not?

edit:

outline the role of a chemist employed in a named industry or
enterprise, - 2 marks
identifying the branch of chemistry undertaken by the chemist -1 mark
and explaining a chemical principle that the chemist uses -3 marks

well 6 marks, not really 7, but still....

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i wouldn't like that as 6 marker, it's not too hard but i want something good, something where you can get marks easily, i want them to give me marks

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
that question about the scientist in my trial was only worth 4 marks... i think they are more likely to make a fussy 7 mark question based on experiments =p anything you think sounds like english essay in the syllabus dot point would belong to that category

Excalibur

I agree with everyone :p

-haber process n societal impacts
-OZONE
-oxides of S and N
-water treatment in ur area (but i thought that was in there last yr)
- And of course stupid indicator tests eeeerrrrrrggggg - i hope its not them though and i doubt it will be as that would be testing how well ppl can memorise NOt how good they are at chem.
-but i hope constip8ed skunk is right and that it is an easy chemist one!!!

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I want the 7 mark question to be "Assess the reasons why you hate chemistry so much and have no desire to do anything even partially related to it in the future"

and if it has to be something in the syllabus, I want it to be on batteries or ozone or in the option on the natural resource replacement or the membrane/mercury/diaphragm cells.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
oh no.....may be it's the one about Analysing the changes in atmospheric ozone concentration......

NOOOOOO....

Or they could ask you about ANY ONE of the batteries we've did. For example the mecury cell and the Leclanche cell. ARGH!

But anything that is NOT about Sulfate content......it's so CRAP!

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
oh no.....may be it's the one about Analysing the changes in atmospheric ozone concentration......

NOOOOOO....

Or they could ask you about ANY ONE of the batteries we've did. For example the mecury cell and the Leclanche cell. ARGH!

But anything that is NOT about Sulfate content......it's so CRAP!
no they can't ask you on any one of them, if you look at the syllabus i think u only have to know two (as far as i can remember)

N

ND

I wouldn't mind anything mentioned so far int this thread. The ones i hate are 'assess the evidence indicating....', those bullshit Monreal protocol ones and the like.

edit: Actually, Survivor did mention one of the ones i hate.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ~Dreamer
i hope they dont ask about the cation or anion tests, argh they confuse me...
they're so hard to remember

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by Excalibur
- And of course stupid indicator tests eeeerrrrrrggggg - i hope its not them though and i doubt it will be as that would be testing how well ppl can memorise NOt how good they are at chem.
isn't the whole hsc aimed at how well u can remember things and regurgitate them onto the paper... seriously, you don't have to understand something to be able to just write exactly what your teacher told you

Inhuman

HSC
Originally posted by ballerinabarbie
isn't the whole hsc aimed at how well u can remember things and regurgitate them onto the paper... seriously, you don't have to understand something to be able to just write exactly what your teacher told you
I agree. The HSC tests your memory as opposed to your skill and understanding of the subject.
Theoretically it's possible to do well armed with nothing but an excellent understanding of the topics... but it's so much easier to do well if you just memorise the relevant crap.

mark_hack

yeah, i'm hopin for one on how to purify a towns water supply or CFC's - i carved that up in the trials

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, i totally agree that the whole thing is a memory test

forsaken_99

Our teacher is pretty certain that it is going to be something about water, because according to him that is one part of the syllabus that they haven't really 'hit' upon yet.

parry

apparently in forensic chemistry the last 2 years hsc have had the exact same q word for word, as a 6 mark q, so they can ask stuff from last years hsc anyway.
Personally i hope we get a question on the atmosphere and cfc's and stuff, but i could live with a Haber q

kazerati

it is a memory test!! totally!! but one that is made easier by you actually knowing how to apply the stuff you have memorised to everyday life.. something i have yet to learn in chem.. d'oh!!

i think the best bet would be to make sure u at least know the basics for every bit - and then you can make up the rest, fill in the gaps!!

N

ND

Originally posted by forsaken_99
Our teacher is pretty certain that it is going to be something about water, because according to him that is one part of the syllabus that they haven't really 'hit' upon yet.
Last year's had a 6 marker (IIRC) on water purification.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)