2002 HSC Paper - Question 10 (1 Viewer)

How do you find past Question 10's in HSC Exams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayWalker

HSC
Has anyone else tried this question?
In my opinion, that is a hell of a lot of number crunching, even for the best of students. Not to mention that even if you could finish this question, completing this in an exam under pressure and with time restraints is a bit far fetched. Anyong else have anything to say?

Did anyone actually solve this question without referring to the answers, teacher, fellow students or a tutor?

lil_eza

HSC
i had to see my teacher,
But still dont understand it.
In my tiral, the qn 10 was so piss easy, but if this yrs HSC Qn 10 is like that one...Im screwed!

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
if they give us a question like that i am screwed
i want an easy paper :D
but i think that is just wishful thinking
they seem to be slowly getting harder

JayWalker

HSC
Yeah its strange...

I'm personally going through like almost every year's HSC paper for Maths and no matter what year it is, I get to question 10 and am like, yeah looks easy enough, and most of them start with something like "Show x = ..." and i start and when im finiished simplifying and everything, my answer looks nothing like theirs..

Really hard :mad:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
you do realise that making it an open poll means everybody is going to choose impossible =p

Seriously, the only difficult past HSC 2U q would be to 2000 snowplough one, only because it is a bit different from the usual. I would advise anyone who doesn't want to spend much time studying maths to at least look at that one.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
The first part is ok but the sailing thing was abit errrr WTF...

goshawk

Im hoping my calculator doesnt f*ck up. Anyone gunna buy new ones before the exam?

JayWalker

HSC
Estel said:
you do realise that making it an open poll means everybody is going to choose impossible =p

Seriously, the only difficult past HSC 2U q would be to 2000 snowplough one, only because it is a bit different from the usual. I would advise anyone who doesn't want to spend much time studying maths to at least look at that one.
Yes the snowplough question was really unexpected. Have friends who are in like second year uni and the same type of question being asked...

I hate maths :(

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
lol this one

i was doing this paper today, yea the Trigonometry part is pretty easy.... although the sketch of the graph got me a little at first

the Saga and Hero crap

oh god..... i hate that , i still dont even get the second part

JayWalker

HSC
heh I know.. i just did the 2001 today,, something about a School fund which i got write, that was ok..

But then there was a question about some girl going to school and i just read it and chucked it at the wall.. not even going to try that sort of crap!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
the boat name was cool though "SAGA"

it reminds me of swimming through the sea naked with little fishies pecking at one's private parts

mojako

HSC
Ok I needed to refer to the examiners' report but if I was in a real exam I might be able to do it because force myself to do it.

Anyway, the style of Q10(b) of 2002 and 2003 (algebra mess) are characteristics of the new exam committee and is likely to appear in 2004 paper as well.
So I'll give some tips. Hopefully they make sense and don't sound too complicated.

1. Don't get scared by the plethora of algebraic expressions. It's just like how our ext2 english students use big confusing strange words, mathematicians also use long strange algebraic expressions. They're really nothing and are just there to distract you.

For example in 2002 Q10(b)(i), just relax and differentiate it normally.
1 / [ b^2 + (x+8)^2 ] = [ b^2 + (x+8)^2 ]^(-1)
=-1 * [ b^2 + (x+8)^2 ]^(-2) * derivative of the thing in [...]
=-1 * [ b^2 + (x+8)^2 ]^(-2) * [2*(x+8)*derivative of (x+8)]
Do the same with 1 / [ b^2 + (x-8)^2 ]
Then, since the given expression (-2P/Q) contains no + sign, you need to combine the two terms into one, by taking a common denominator.
u/a + v/b = [u(b)+v(a)]/ab

2. For derivative to be zero, the numerator must be zero. For numerator to be zero, one of the factors in its expression must be zero. For the derivative to be negative (when testing for maximum or minimum), the product of signs of the factors in numerator and denominator must be negative. -*-=+, -*+=-, etc. * is for times.

So for 2002 Q10(b)(ii), we have 3 factors for P.
When the first factor=0, x=0
When the second factor=0, x^2=-[64+15^2+16sqrt(..)] which is negative. but x^2 can't be negative so there's no x value for this factor to be zero.
Similar for the third factor.
To confirm that its indeed maximum TP, just put x=1 and x=-1.
Another technique would be to look at the 3 factors. the second and third can never be negative when b=15 [the third factor simplifies to x^2+17]
Hence the first factor determines the sign of numerator.
Also, dI/dx=-2P/Q. From its ugly expression in (i), Q must be positive because it contains squares only.

3. Extract info from the question. In 2003 Q10(b)(iii), you want to find where l is maximum and the determining info to confirm that the stationary point is a max is that x<1 and that r<1. Ideally you should show clearly how you determine it's a max (by actually finding the sign of the second factor when x is slightly less than the value for the stat pt). But you can pretend to be smart and just do like what Geff Jeha did in his solutions in the Resources section. Just mention the key info that you think/guess determines the sign of factors.

You might get the mark by justifying it informally.
Consider a person walking from A to N, N is a point at a fixed distance above the floor, below or exactly at P.
Code:
X_____A
 |   /
P|  /
 | /
N|/
 |
 |
M|
He follows the route "AP then PN". There exists an angle XAP at which he can do the least walking, with walking at 45 degrees giving the least overal distance.
Least walking means least rope is used to reach N. The remaining of the rope can be used to extend to M (vertically down), so least AN corresponds to largest l.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)