• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2 unit maths rules out band 6? (1 Viewer)

summermagic

HSC
My friend's tutor told him that doing 2 unit maths makes it really, really hard to get a band 6 in the HSC. Is this true?

Apparently, in extension maths you do 'harder applications of 2 unit maths' which is tested in the 2 unit paper but not studied by the 2 unit class. Help?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Balls. If you work at it, then you would naturally deserve/get a band 6. Might be different from std. English though.

Zephyrio

HSC
LOL don't be slack.

Summermagic, your friend's wrong. 2U maths, despite it's title, scales approximately the equivalent to physics, advanced English, chem and eco.

And no it's not impossible to get a band six. Around 7000 people in the state do, every year.

Marzaa

HSC
summermagic said:
My friend's tutor told him that doing 2 unit maths makes it really, really hard to get a band 6 in the HSC. Is this true?

Apparently, in extension maths you do 'harder applications of 2 unit maths' which is tested in the 2 unit paper but not studied by the 2 unit class. Help?
If what u said was true, what hope would the general maths kids have of getting a band 6.
I do 2 unit maths, and I reckon getting a band 6 in 2 unit is very achievable whether or not u do extension 1. However u have to put a lot of hard work in (even if ur a natural at maths) by doing past papers etc

free-bird

HSC
ofcourse its possible..my maths teacher whoz a hsc marker said bcoz of 2u maths's scaling, if u get a 90 out of 120, its counted as a band 6, and if u get like 70-90 out of 120 its a band 5 and so on.....so duh its obvious u can get a band 6 if u try

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
your tutors full of crap.

its so freakn easy to get 90 in 2unit maths....... my brother did NOT EVEN ATTEMPT question 10 and half of question 9.... and still got a 90

i do extension maths and trust me it helps 0.1% in 2unit maths Question 9's and 10's ........

if anything 3unit maths (3D trigonmentry) changes the way i view 2unit maths shapes... so it disadvantages me in that regard...

WORK HARD do HSC papers for last 10 years... and UNDERSTAND how to do them... and your guranteed 90

iEdd

HSC
I've heard it's usually around a 96/120 that aligns to a band 6 (90/100) BUT obviously this depends on the general intelligence of who attempts it that year and the difficulty of the paper. If you can get over 100/120 then you should be well on your way to a band 6.

Also, how do you do it easily? Elect extension 1. It makes it so easy by comparison, especially when you revise enough to make extension somewhat easy.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
What a load of....
rainbows.

I'm hating 2U atm....Gr...Jachie you're super-duper luckyy

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Of course the 2u'ers are able to get a band 6. It's just that because 3u'ers do maths of a high standard which allows it to be easier to do Q9 & 10 in the 2u paper. It's been said that the last question or so are more or less designed for the 3u kids but by all means 2u people have just an equal chance and the 3u'ers.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
in 3u you do harder applications which might help in 2u, but they wont test u on anything u havent learnt cuz u learn syllabus and thats all ur tested on.
anyway, my friend picked french (ugh) instead of 3u maths, and she kicks ass. so we came up with plans to defeat her.........

cowfer

HSC
Your friends tutors an idiot! Of course you can get band6 if you do just 2U

iEdd

HSC
The tutor is not necessarily an idiot at all. This thread, however has been somewhat of a pointless waste of time. Here's why:
The tutor is probably 100% correct. Your friend might not be very good at maths, and so he will really struggle to get a band 6 if he does standard maths instead of general. It's the fact that we know nothing about this "friend" that makes it hard (impossible?) to objectively say that it is difficult to get a band 6.
To summarise in a statement: A band 6 is achievable, but requires a great effort and understanding for mathematics. :)

Razzah

HSC
Don't worry though, the exact same thing happens to the 3 Unit guys 'cause there are questions in their 3 Unit exam which are aimed at the 4 Unit people.

scaredofthedark

HSC
The fact of the matter on a whole students who are doing 3u are better than students doing 2u, so more of them get band 6 in 2u, especially because comparitively it is easy compared to the work they do in 3u, but there is no reason why a 2u student can't get a band 6.

in fact about 20% of all 2u canditure get a band 6. Of the 18 000 ppl doing 2u last year only 6000 did 3u. So it stands to reason that some of the 4000 that got a band 6 weren't doing 3u.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Of course the 2u'ers are able to get a band 6. It's just that because 3u'ers do maths of a high standard which allows it to be easier to do Q9 & 10 in the 2u paper. It's been said that the last question or so are more or less designed for the 3u kids but by all means 2u people have just an equal chance and the 3u'ers.
Yeah and the top 2Uer got 108/120 and he doesn't do 3U what a bastard.

watso

HSC
Of course not. 2nd place in our school for 2U doesn't do 3U. There is a good chance for 2U students. The best of 2U mix with the 3 unit students and it's the same in the HSC. Two unit exams only test the syllabus which is all you learn in class. Yes it may to be a harder level then class which puts them at an advantage but the best two unit students all get the band 6 they deserve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)