• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2 Unit Math 4 Economics/Commerce Degree (1 Viewer)

2700wrms

HSC
Is 2 unit math needed for those type of degrees or is general math fine?
Cheers

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I'm doing bba (which means I've done some of the first & second year units you'd do in comm/economics) + psychology (which involves an awful lot of statistics at times), and gotten through fine on 50% 'general' (2u) maths. YMMV.

Ultimately, whatever your marks and whatever the subject, trick is to get into it: Maths/formulae are tools which can seriously help you. If you approach maths with the "I-hate-it-and-just-want-maths-to-die" approach many (from what I've seen) HSC maths students have, you mightn't go so well. If you're doing 2u at school you may already have realised that..

(..that said, the cycnical 4th year student in me says none of it is particularly useful anyway, but don't listen to him :))

Edit: there aren't any maths requirements, I don't believe, for eco/comm. There may, however, be recommendations: find/read them. They'll give you an indication. There is also the numeracy centre on campus, who can help you out with maths for certain subjects, and usually, if you're having maths troubles, you're not the only one in the class. There are consultation hours with tutors/lecturers, too, where they can go through the work and give you solutions in a more one-on-one session.

Last edited:

2700wrms

HSC
Thank You for the comprehensive response, as I am doing 2 unit maths right now but arn't preforming in it how I would like, and was thinking dropping down and doing general maths, to save the time and effort I would have to put in to even gain a pass mark, but Thank you for the response.

Tabris

HSC
Can u do some basic integration?

integrate x squred?

or find the the derivative of x cubed?

if u can thats all u need.

They will give a revenue curve soemthing like a quadratic and they will ask u to find the marginal revenue which is the derivative of the quadratic and in linear form.

Thats as hard as it can get, integrate a linear equation and find the derivative of a quadratic.

No trignometry, absolutely none whatsoever.

The maths u will be understanding in B comm is statistics and econometrics, which is far more practical and useful than whatever stuff your using in 2 unit maths.

I can tell u that the general amths student probably has a head start in stat170 than u...

But keep 2 unit maths, the alternative is an astronomically hard (at least for freshman) alternative from the mathematicians department. A first year maths unit. It is far better to be mediocre in 2 unit maths than to be doing the university level alternative.

It doesnt matter even if u get 51% for 2 unit maths in HSC and still make it for B comm, 51% in HSC 2 unit still makes u exempt from taking a maths 132 (Whtever it is) unit

Last edited:

Tabris

HSC
I almost forgot, theres a subject called acst101 that nearly all commerce students has to do.

Its a course that turns u into a human calculator for all financial instruments.

Keep that in mind when u start doing the financial maths in 2u maths, stuff like compound interest rates, mortgages, repayments and the practical stuff based on geometric progression can save u alot of headache if u master it now.

If u can fully understand the financial maths stuff in 2 u maths, then it is a big help for acst101 where half of the content develops upon it.

CieL

HSC
Not sure if this is relevant..

But my friend is doing comm-accounting.. and he did general maths in HS and did very well.. but in uni, he had to pick up a math unit before he could do some 100 lvl unit at uni..

dracover

HSC
as far as econ goes u almost dont need maf at all

like yr 10 maths is all u need. unless u plan on doing econometrics but then they teach from scratch mostly so shouldnt be a problem just u might find the start a little more difficult then those who did the more advanced maths.

even acst101 i'm pretty sure all the maths required is taught in like yr10 and 11 (i dont rem there being integration but i could be wrong neva went to classes)

there are random complicated formula that u learn in class and u may even get taught the proofs. but unless u picked some extremely math orientated subjected (which i dont fink there is unless u have to do some math subject or one of the 200,300 lvl acst units) then they neva test u on the proofs anyway just rem and apply formula.

aileenli

HSC
Tabris said:
Can u do some basic integration?

integrate x squred?

or find the the derivative of x cubed?

if u can thats all u need.

They will give a revenue curve soemthing like a quadratic and they will ask u to find the marginal revenue which is the derivative of the quadratic and in linear form.

Thats as hard as it can get, integrate a linear equation and find the derivative of a quadratic.

No trignometry, absolutely none whatsoever.

The maths u will be understanding in B comm is statistics and econometrics, which is far more practical and useful than whatever stuff your using in 2 unit maths.

I can tell u that the general amths student probably has a head start in stat170 than u...

But keep 2 unit maths, the alternative is an astronomically hard (at least for freshman) alternative from the mathematicians department. A first year maths unit. It is far better to be mediocre in 2 unit maths than to be doing the university level alternative.

It doesnt matter even if u get 51% for 2 unit maths in HSC and still make it for B comm, 51% in HSC 2 unit still makes u exempt from taking a maths 132 (Whtever it is) unit
^^^^

totally freaking agree with this guy!

i did great in gen math, but they dont see it as 'maths' as such in uni.

thus i got stuck with math 123, and it made my first semester of first year uni hell.

imagine having a 3 unit hsc math course squashed into 13 weeks, four lectures every week and a tutor that is socially retarded and scared of women, not to mention buck toothed with a horrible lisp and pom accent.

grrrr. yes im still bitter.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
He's not scared of women, he was just trying to work up the courage to ask if you wanted to be his "sweet cherry 3.14159265358979323846..."

aileenli

HSC
=D Yeah the tight-black-jeans-up-to-the-armpits thing is a real turn on....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)