2 quick question, regarding ranks (1 Viewer)

random1990

HSC
Hey guys.

First question, is can you just confirm if this is right:
The way I understand, your HSC mark comes from the average of your own mark, and the mark that the person from your school scored that was your rank.
Eg. If your coming 20th in a subject, but in the HSC you get a mark of 90/120 (say for ext 2 maths) which is the 3rd highest mark, and the 20th highest mark from your school for the test was 80, your mark would become 85, as it is the average of your own mark and your school rank mark. Is that right?

Now my second question leads on from this.
I'm coming 2nd for ext 2 maths, and we just had our trials today and I'm pretty confident that I went well, but apparently the person who's coming first went well too. Assuming I get a high enough mark, that rather than making myself first and them second, we are both equal first, how does it work for the HSC?
Eg. if we're both equal first, but say I get 120/120 for the test, and the other person gets say 50/120 (extreme example), would my mark be affected at all by there's since we're both the same rank?

If I'm not clear, just ask and I'll try and reword it!

Thanks a lot! :)

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i thought if you were both equal first, then both fo you get the highest mark.
So if the highest mark was say 98, then both of you will get 98 as the moderated assessment mark plus whatever you get in your exam mark to get the shc subject mark.

Number 1 sounds correct to me. So basically to clarify, if you are ranked 20th, you get the 20th highest mark as your moderated assessment mark plus whatever you get in your hsc exam mark, divide the hsc mark and assessment mark by 2 to get your subject mark.

random1990

HSC
jemsta said:
i thought if you were both equal first, then both fo you get the highest mark.
So if the highest mark was say 98, then both of you will get 98 as the moderated assessment mark plus whatever you get in your exam mark to get the shc subject mark.
thanks! so theoretically, if i was coming equal first i could not even try at all and do no study, and still get whatever mark the other person coming first gets?

jemsta said:
Number 1 sounds correct to me. So basically to clarify, if you are ranked 20th, you get the 20th highest mark as your moderated assessment mark plus whatever you get in your hsc exam mark, divide the hsc mark and assessment mark by 2 to get your subject mark.
thought so! thanks =]

any futher replies are still appreciated, just to confirm! =]

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
random1990 said:
thanks! so theoretically, if i was coming equal first i could not even try at all and do no study, and still get whatever mark the other person coming first gets?
I wish it worked like that, but nah. Basically you have your internal and external mark, each worth 50% of your total. Your internal is judged by assignments and tests you do inside school and your external is simply the HSC exam. But the way it works is that you don't actually get your internal mark as your internal. Say you're ranked 2nd, your internal mark would be made whatever the 2nd highest mark in the HSC exam from your school is. Then you get your own HSC mark as the other half of the total.

Hope that made sense :)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
random1990 said:

thought so! thanks =]

any futher replies are still appreciated, just to confirm! =]
lol if it worked like that, im sure everyone would bum out in the final exam and so you get the top shittest mark LOL

random1990

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
I wish it worked like that, but nah. Basically you have your internal and external mark, each worth 50% of your total. Your internal is judged by assignments and tests you do inside school and your external is simply the HSC exam. But the way it works is that you don't actually get your internal mark as your internal. Say you're ranked 2nd, your internal mark would be made whatever the 2nd highest mark in the HSC exam from your school is. Then you get your own HSC mark as the other half of the total.

Hope that made sense :)
ahh yep that made sense. so say me and another person are coming equal first, and i get 120, and they get 50, my overall mark will be (120+120)/2 = 120, and there's will be (120+40)/2 = 80?

thanks a lot! i really hope im coming equal first after this... if im 2nd i'll be so annoyed coz i know i'll be brought down by there mark in the hsc exam =[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)