2 questions on a belonging essay (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
hey guys,

i have two questions on my creative writing which is based on how it feels not to belong

the plot is sorta like this:

pumped for a party
get there and everybody is drunk using drugs and whatever
become relfective and considered wether i really belong as this is something that i dont do
decide that this is not the place for me

1) is this story cliche or does it sound original

2)i was just wondering how i could how to create suspension or tension in an english creative writing? cause my start and end sound quite good, descriptive emotional and stuff but the middle sorta sounds boring and i need something to add

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Cliche
if you have to write it be unique in the approach

elle_belly

HSC
little bit clishay ..... if you can work out a twist maybe you could get something good going

SanjoyM

HSC
Stereotypical and cliched! It is quite obvious that you are trying to explore the idea of non-conformist vs conformist.
However, my recommendation to you is that discover something abstract, not involving teenagers or drugs, and apply the same concept
For example, from the perspective of something inanimate! Think about it.
Personally, no matter how good your creative might have been, I donot mean to discourage you, "but you would achieve a mid band 5 with a stereotypical idea" as reiterated by experienced HSC English Area of Study markers.
So, think about something unique:)

You may want to utilise fragmentary narrative form, or foreshadowing effects :)

Last edited:

plasticities

HSC
Generally anything related to teenagers/teen angst/teen drama/drug use/partying etc is cliche. Try and get away from anything remotely personal, put yourself in the mindset of someone completely different. ie for my creative last year, the protagonist was a middle aged businessman who was struggling with the moral repugnance of belonging to a heartless corporation, whilst trying to provide for his family and dealing with the guilt of his considered resignation during the GFC.

To create suspension, I usually use some kind of inner conflict that the protagonist has to resolve, some other tips might be to create mystery or ambiguity in the first part of the story and then clear it up later on with some kind of interesting twist.

Other tips that I found really useful for creatives were to 'show not tell' be very descriptive but not overly so. Don't start stringing big words together that you don't understand, the markers can tell when you do this. Set your story in a short space of time, ie instead of an entire school year, use perhaps a bus trip or one lesson. Be mindful not to switch back and forth between first and third person narrative unintentionally, this disrupts the flow of the story.

mike12345678

HSC
thanx for the tips

the thing is that its so hard to make a good creative story thats original

i guess i gotta re think something new

OH GOD :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)