1st yr english (1 Viewer)

jessum

HSC
im going to have a rant here.
i do liberal studies, so i have to do a mandatory english unit of study, which i think is completely ridiculous, because how can you say, that by doing 6 credit points of english in a 4 year degree, enough has been covered to give you adequate communication and analytical skills, or whatever it is they want us to gain from this?
secondly, im annoyed by the subject descriptions of the english department. im sure that no where did it say that language and image was all about grammar. i guess it might be pretty obvious now after doing the course.. but i was expecting something similar to hsc english, not some bullcrap grammar course which overanalysed everything, and was so utterly boring. maybe other people didnt think so... but i wouldnt have picked it if i knew what it was about. grr. i didnt go to any lectures. maybe it would have been better if i did. who knows
but another thing, in the exam, i didnt have the text book (it was open book), and i didnt study, and i didnt mention any grammatical concepts whatsoever. and yet i still managed to get 70. im not complaining, but how could i get that when i obviously know nothing about the content of the stupid bloody course.. i think theyre stupid.
thats it. i feel better now.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
jessum said:
secondly, im annoyed by the subject descriptions of the english department. im sure that no where did it say that language and image was all about grammar. i guess it might be pretty obvious now after doing the course.. but i was expecting something similar to hsc english, not some bullcrap grammar course which overanalysed everything, and was so utterly boring.
ha. i agree 100% i enjoyed the first 6-7 weeks of the semester. after that, it went downhill. i managed to do well in the assessment tasks. i fluked it. but obviously i stuffed up the exam. it was a stupid subject....probably helpful in the long run, but above all, it was very annoying.

jessum said:
grr. i didnt go to any lectures. maybe it would have been better if i did. who knows
but another thing, in the exam, i didnt have the text book (it was open book), and i didnt study, and i didnt mention any grammatical concepts whatsoever. and yet i still managed to get 70.
darlin', don't complain :p i worked hard...went to the lectures, pulled D's in all my assessment tasks and ended up with a final 68. I'm spewing. ok 68 is a good mark. but they fucked me over royally lol

Course descriptions in the Art faculty leave a lot to be desired. I think the best way to choose subjects is by asking 2nd/3rd/4th year students. in first semester, 2nd year kids were telling us not to do Language and Image and i guess we should have listened lol I saw an ad on TV for "The Quiet American" and i threw my pillow at the tv. i never wanna hear about that again!

i guess we can't do anything about the course descriptions. I found all of my first year english subjects (inventing modernity, language & image, and literary mythologies) all terribly CRAP. it has turned me off english....well, i never knew university english could be so stupid. im really disappointed.

i'm hoping 2nd year is better :)

jessum

HSC
i must be talking to the wrong 2nd yrs, coz the ones i spoke to were all "yeh its great, heaps easy, blah blah really good". they didnt mention the shit loads of grammar.
and what was with the exam where we were all facing each other.. creepy
anyway. im glad i dont have to do any more english, and i feel sorry for u having to do more
ill stick with german grammar, makes much more sense, and we dont have to analyse it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)