1st year commerce and economics (1 Viewer)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
hey,

i was just curious, but do commerce and economics students in first year study the same core units etc. if so, does this make it easier to transfer from an economics degree to a commerce degree in 2nd year provided that you do well in first year?

thanks,

hyperbole.

tempco

HSC
yes, comm and eco students do that same 3 core subjects for the first year. not too sure about the transfer bit of your question though.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Note: nekkid's comment applies to UNSW only. USyd it's slightly different, but I think you can choose subjects that make it essentially the same.

And yes, the easiest way to transfer to a B.Com is to do B.Ec in your first year. You won't be disadvantaged in anyway (apart from your academic transcript looking like a mess, as mine is)

hasterz

HSC
i think this is what minai did, but if you dont successfully transfer then your left with a ecco degree :eek:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hasterz said:
i think this is what minai did, but if you dont successfully transfer then your left with a ecco degree :eek:
Well, you can still major in what you wanted to, its just that you have to also major in Economics

Acid

HSC
But hyperbole is still in year 12.. so maybe the best advice would be to study a little and get into commerce first off! Easy solution? :)

Farcanell

Even if you're heading elsewhere you probably wouldn't have any real difficulties transferring. Most commerce degrees at all unis i know of include faculty electives, so any units done only by eco students could be made up by drawing from there instead.

Tabris

HSC
If u goto Macquarie the 1st year units are generic, if u do eco,finance,accounting, u all have to do a statistics unit mainly introductory (unless u do acturial which requires more), a computer or information system unit and basic economics units such as macro-micro principles and finally u do introductory accounting..

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
matt#1 said:
hasterz said:
but if you dont successfully transfer then your left with a ecco degree :eek:[/QUOTE

Surely being left with an eco degree isn't all that bad :rolleyes:
That's true, Eco degrees aren't really that bad. But its just an issue of constraint . . if you do an Eco degree you have to study Eco. But with a Commerce degree you dont. So just say you're keen on doing something like Marketing and HR with Accounting (for example), you get "stuck" with an Eco degree if your transfer idea dont work.

At the end of the day, an Eco degree is only good if you want to major in Eco (sounds obvious, really)

Btw, the best idea for hyperbole is to get the UAI in the first round (as Acid suggested). The diference between Commerce and eco is not that huge (and many ppl who got Eco could have got Comm in the first shot with a bit more study)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Thanks for the help.

To study commerce at UNSW is 95, and 90/91 for Economics right?? That's a huge difference! Lol. I don't think I'll get it, even if I study hard-core.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hyperbole said:
Thanks for the help.

To study commerce at UNSW is 95, and 90/91 for Economics right?? That's a huge difference! Lol. I don't think I'll get it, even if I study hard-core.
I had much the same thoughts as you when I was in Year 12, my original first preferences were Commerce @ Macquarie uni because I thought I'd never make UNSW/Sydney Uni

My advice is, study hard anyway, and see how you go - you'll probably surprise yourself

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I had much the same thoughts as you when I was in Year 12, my original first preferences were Commerce @ Macquarie uni because I thought I'd never make UNSW/Sydney Uni

My advice is, study hard anyway, and see how you go - you'll probably surprise yourself
i expected 85 for uai got 84, so dont expect more then u think u can get. but do expect some cutoff to fall, like it happened last year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)