$1bn 'not sorry enough' - Aboriginal leaders (1 Viewer)

hunter1

Evolution is a mystery
HSC
The main problem is that if we said to them we will give you $3 billion they would turn around and demand $5 billion etc. Maybe they should themselves lucky, without they would still be running around naked chasing a fucking goanna.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
There is no proof of anyone being "stolen" from their family. Children were removed either for legitimate reasons like abuse or with permission from their parents because they just didn't want them. There is no one to compensate. This is just another excuse to demand more money.

NovaAesa

HSC
wuddie said:
how the fk would you know things would have been much worse if the chinese or koreans or some other country had taken over? god, you are naive.

what is there to thank for? the invasion? the outright removal of their tradition way of life? maybe if some other country had settled here first, the aborigines would have kept their way of life.
Yes of course, how naive of me:confused:
I'm just saying in comparison to other indigenous societies that have been treated badly, aborigines are on the treated-less-severely side of the scale. E.g. the indigenous Africans who got sold as slaves. At least when children were taken away from their parents in Australia, it was done with good intentions.

OT: I really don't see how giving billions can possibly help in reconciliation.

Last edited:

Justicee

HSC
you will be surprised how much difference 1 billion would make, that would build a ship big enough for them all to fit on, then we could float them out antarctica way and north korea could practise dropping fuel bombs on the ship so all in all both sides are happy, the "forgotten wateva the fuck" are all on a lifetime high so theer sweet and our property values will increase, global peace will occur, government funds will be allocated elsewhere after the closing of centrelink.

NovaAesa

HSC
The chinese and korans didn't do anything to their indigenous people. As far as I am aware, indigenous Koreans and Chinese people are still alive and well in their respective countries of origin.

My point was that some cultures are more brutal in the way the treat (or in this case, used to treat) people of other cultures compared to the British.

And back on topic: I can't see how giving money is going to bring reconciliation. In fact as this thread has so obviously displayed, even the mention of giving money to aboriginals seems to drive the two cultures even further apart.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Stolen Generation could clean up in court

MEMBERS of the Stolen Generation could pocket more cash from a co-ordinated lawsuit than from a proposed compensation scheme, lawyers say.

Indigenous leaders revealed yesterday that Stolen Generation members from around the country were considering suing after the Rudd Government's refusal to compensate them.

Some experts tip the action, inspired by a landmark South Australian case, could end up costing taxpayers more than the $1 billion being sought as compensation.

Slater and Gordon lawyer Peter Gordon said a co-ordinated run of successful cases could leave the Government exposed to a bigger payout than a capped fund.

"My suggestion is that test cases will be actioned and, if successful, the Government may crunch the numbers and end up deciding on a settlement."

However Maurice Blackburn senior partner Ben Slade said any court action would most likely fail because of its complexity.

"It's not inconceivable, but they (the Government) will have had legal advice that most people would fail," he said.

Stolen Generation Alliance chair Christine King said the fight would go on despite the Government's refusal to match its planned apology with a payout.

"That's the Government's policy but that doesn't stop the Stolen Generation from taking other avenues of redress, because this is a human rights issue and a social issue," Ms King said.

She said indigenous leaders would meet later this month to talk about litigation, counselling, and ways to retrieve lost family history.

An apology would not assist a legal fight for funds, she said.

"The Stolen Generation has legal grounds for compensation anyway, because of the human rights violation," she said.

"Everyone else has a right, when there's been a human rights violation, to go to the courts for compensation. But it seems that when it comes to Aboriginal people, it's 'No, it shouldn't happen'."

The Herald Sun this week revealed the legal threat, which followed the Government's ruling out of compensation.

Stolen Generation Victoria chair Lyn Austin said the pressure would be maintained.

"(The Government) has said all along there would be no compensation. But Tasmania has set up a fund, and we will continue to push, because it was recommended in the (Bringing Them Home) report."

Indigenous Australians are demanding a $1 billion compensation fund for those who can prove they were forcibly removed from their homes as children.

South Australian man Bruce Trevorrow, 50, won more than $500,000 damages when a Supreme Court judge accepted his forced removal had caused his later depression.

There are an estimated 13,000 members of the stolen generation, 80 registered in Victoria.

Indigenous Affairs minister Jenny Macklin said the Government had other priorities.

"We won't be creating a compensation fund. What we will be doing is putting the funding . . . into health and education services," Ms Macklin said.

Finance minister Lindsay Tanner said individuals were free to pursue legal action if they chose.

The removal of children was a special form of genocide, said Professor Marcia Langton, of Melbourne University's indigenous studies department.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23021564-421,00.html

jesus christ its not like they went through slavery, those taken from their homes during the stolen generation were living in far worse conditions before they were taken, now they want money money money. it's time to protest people......in Redfern :)

K

katie_tully

lol.
i suppose it's already been said that $1b is a fucktonne of petrol.

K

katie_tully

Hey, i thought i would be weigh in as someone who is part Aboriginal themselves, or as per this thread a ,'fucking abo' 'koon' 'delinquent' 'boonga' 'petrol sniffer' 'rapist' and all the others I am too tired at this point to recite. I found myself particularly saddened by the overt right wing agendas displayed on this thread and would like to attempt at least to shed some light on my view of this entire episode as one of the 'others'. There is, while unseen a large number of Aboriginal people with Sydney (the breadth of my knowledge as a recent HSC student who has been locked inside) that provide ostensible contrast to the seemingly common thoughts of white-australians concerning Aboriginal people as intellectually-incapacitated sub-humans, people such as Noel Pearson, Ayden Ridgeway and Mickey Mundine (to name the first that come to my weary head) have been long doing behind the scenes work to erase the inherent problems with the 'slums' of redfern and waterloo - dealing with these situations of alcoholism and abuse through means that are not just compensatory but indeed are perpetuated through re-habilitation and education, the very things you good members of this forum seem to imagine as impossible for a people as dumb as us. Now im not trying to attempt to convince you based on the grounds of three people to any significant point but the fact that your darwinian stance concerning Aboriginies and the ability for them to break even with white-australia in terms of living standard is indeed incorrect as simply it is just that the means applied by both so-called Aboriginal leaders , who DO want money which will be spent on meaningless quick fixes, and the Howard-led intervention were both fundamentally incorrect as they both will not have far reaching implications - what I'm saying although not in as much of an erudite fashion as i'd like is that yes you are correct MONEY IS NOT THE TOTAL ANSWER but neither is the 'they are worthless' point of veiw - there exists a cycle of poverty up there in those communities that spans the generations since those who were stolen and while that does not effect me today - it does kick in when 1 child is born into alcoholism because his father is an alcoholic because his father was - we need money spent on practical solutions to these problems and the compulsion of higher aspirations for Aboriginal people than just of that to say give up drinking/stop sniffing petrol.

I mean yeah you guys can keep dishing out the insults here it wont effect me - ive heard it all before and i guess the fact that i have achieved good enough HSC marks to get myself into university provides me with equal content that i indeed reached a level that is considered so far-flung for such a naive native as myself

good night.
i dont remember anybody permitting you to speak. only one darkie is allowed on this forum at a time, and the position is currently being presided over by chris singh. our dark overlord.

K

katie_tully

mean yeah you guys can keep dishing out the insults here it wont effect me - ive heard it all before and i guess the fact that i have achieved good enough HSC marks to get myself into university provides me with equal content that i indeed reached a level that is considered so far-flung for such a naive native as myself
When you sign forms, do you put that you are Aboriginal/Torres Straight Islander?

If yes, have another think about why you got into uni. I bet your sorry ass it wasn't on the merits of your HSC marks.

K

katie_tully

this is the first thread where everybody has collectively agreed on something

except for a few wimpers from the token abos, but i figure that doesnt count coz theyve had voting rights for less time than us.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
katie_tully said:
this is the first thread where everybody has collectively agreed on something

except for a few wimpers from the token abos, but i figure that doesnt count coz theyve had voting rights for less time than us.
If I had a swastika on my cock would you suck it?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
katie_tully said:
I would curb stomp it. Is that nazi enough for you?
Yeah baby, that's what I like. Get all into it, what would you do to my balls? You Anglo-Celtic cum bucket.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)