18 Y.O. and NO JOB!!! (1 Viewer)

RealEstateAgent

HSC
am i too old for a job, beacuse so far i have applied literally to a thousand positions not even 1 reply or phonecall, i made sure my resume looks great..
im so pissed of been applying every day since January this year..
need a good part time job where i need at least 20 bucks an hour.

iBibah

HSC
am i too old for a job, beacuse so far i have applied literally to a thousand positions not even 1 reply or phonecall, i made sure my resume looks great..
im so pissed of been applying every day since January this year..
need a good part time job where i need at least 20 bucks an hour.
thats the problem, its not that no one wants you, it's the fact you're being too picky. Take what you can get and the pay should rise over time.

Applying for positions doesn't mean you'll eventually get accepted or called, especially when you apply to positions that need someone more qualified/experienced/whatever.

proflayton

HSC
I have been applying for jobs for 2 years and nothing. Its too competitive. You need luck.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
tried any job agencies???

good money... they get you doing factory work and all but it's really, really good money... when I was working for an agency I was earning $25/h for day shifts; $35/h for weekends (only ever got two of these, Christmas rush and shit); $40/h for night shifts and early morning shifts (got many of these when I proved I was a gun at what I was doing, well, not a gun, just better than half the plebs that were working for them); $40+/h for Sundays (Albeit, I didn't get too many of these shifts, the ones I got were usually half days)... LOTS OF OVERTIME!!! :)

On a good week I was earning $800+ (was averaging about $600 in the bank each week)... I was only doing one subject at uni at the time... so I had a lot of time on my hands, a lot of time... However, they won't want to know you if you are a full timer at uni or at any other type of schooling that requires a lot of contact hours... makes me wonder why I actually decided to continue studying... :haha:

shit was really starting to die down before I quit as well, I was still getting shifts, others weren't... don't know what it's like at the moment... might be more difficult to get work in with an agency now days...

Might also pay to get a professional to look over your CV as well... make sure your referees are saying nice things about you... make sure they are kept in the loop that you're actually looking for work and they might get a call as well...

Last edited:

proflayton

HSC
Yeah but factory work isn't work you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life - its hard work.

iBibah

HSC
I have been applying for jobs for 2 years and nothing. Its too competitive. You need luck.
Not sure what you've been applying for but it seems you are being waaayyy to selective and don't realise at this age it really doesn't matter how you get some $$.

You have to start somewhere.

proflayton

HSC
I always get interviews group interviews and there are 30 people in the room its like a roulette wheel. I stand out and my friend sits their like a mouse and gets the job.

iBibah

HSC
I always get interviews group interviews and there are 30 people in the room its like a roulette wheel. I stand out and my friend sits their like a mouse and gets the job.
its time to be a mouse then

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah but factory work isn't work you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life - its hard work.
stay in school then...

get some knowledge; have a bit more success finding a jerb...

you sure you're not falling down because you have shit referees???

trust me, they wont tell you if they can't get in contact with your referees; I had to get the place that I am volunteering at now to tell me that my referees are MIA and had to find new ones (lucky they did, otherwise I would have probably made the same mistake when I graduated) :lol:... I walked out of heaps of job interviews thinking I killed it and never got the job... Having known that my referees were not contactable, I probably would have easily got those jobs if I had a decent reference...

Last edited:

proflayton

HSC
My referees aren't even contacted. I am sure the number is correct as well. Most bar jobs I apply for want girls thats why. Or I apply for hairdressing apprentice and they want girls only as well.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
do you have an RSA certificate??? probably best just to start off at your local pub and work your way up...

proflayton

HSC
There all full I already asked, all the uni students have taken the jobs for bartending. I even asked if I can be an on-call position but still no.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
There all full I already asked, all the uni students have taken the jobs for bartending. I even asked if I can be an on-call position but still no.
you didn't answer whether you actually have an RSA and RSG certificate... those two qualifications are probably cardinal when trying to work in hospitality, you will never find work in hospitality without an RSA and RSG certificate... don't think your employer will pay for one or help you get one... they will just hire someone with one...

Sounds like you are just short of experience in the hospitality industry... Try other positions in hospitality and work your way up... Kitchen hand is always a good start... doesn't even need to be a kitchen hand at a bar... you can start at a restaurant, etc (it broadens the places you can apply at as well)...

proflayton

HSC
Got RSA and RCG but lost my previous job due to closure. I have bar experience. Noone will even let me in the door

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
In that case, I am clueless... try popping into centerlink and letting them know of your plight... they can help you with your CV and shit, they can even help you find a job...

proflayton

HSC
Yeah centrelinks helping me they even go to employers and say we will offer you 2 thousand dollars after 3 months of employment for a subsidy if you hire him, but pubs and clubs still don't want me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)