17 year olds? (1 Viewer)

sanssouci

HSC
N/A
Hey guyth.

I was just wondering, im one of the kids who started school a year earlier than most, meaning that ill be 17 until the middle of next year. Are there many other peeps who arent yet 18 starting this year, or in any year for that matter? Are the younger ones left out at all, or does nobody really notice?

dafs2

HSC
doesnt matter. i was 17 when i started uni and wasn't 18 until mid-july.
the only reaction you'll get is 'omg wow really? ur so young! i feel sorry for u'
if you actually tell people how old you are. other than that, no one cares and most people won't even ask.

spence

HSC
A guy in one of my tutes in first year was 15, and he seemed to manage everything fine, and he never seemed left out

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
unless you wear a badge saying 'Hi, I'm 17' then how will people know? they wouldn't care anyway. the only difference will be that you won't be able to go to the pub, unless fake ID etc etc etc, but you can probably live with that for a few months.

HSC
unless you wear a badge saying 'Hi, I'm 17' then how will people know? they wouldn't care anyway. the only difference will be that you won't be able to go to the pub, unless fake ID etc etc etc, but you can probably live with that for a few months.
I agree, I was 17 for my whole first year and apart from not being able to go to any licenced events/the pub, I coped.

HSC
I'll still be 17 when I start uni as well, but only for a month or so. I don't think you'll be purposely left out -- it's really no one's fault that we can't go to licensed venues/18+ events.etc. Just hang in there, be sure to make some real friends and don't succumb to peer pressure. That way you'll enjoy it whether or not you're 18.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Honestly, nobody will care and nobody will know unless you tell them. It won't make much of a difference really at uni except for maybe getting into bars/pubs.

kokodamonkey

HSC
yeah one of my mates didnt turn 18til november of first year... didn't make much of a difference.

Monsterman

HSC
I know that a 15 year old graduated this year.. age doesnt mean shit.. they are pretty awesome in my opinion..

watsthebuzz

HSC
Hey guyth.

I was just wondering, im one of the kids who started school a year earlier than most, meaning that ill be 17 until the middle of next year. Are there many other peeps who arent yet 18 starting this year, or in any year for that matter? Are the younger ones left out at all, or does nobody really notice?
So, I was the same. There are a lot of 17 year olds. Not to mention 15year olds as well who skipped ahead.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
15 year olds in uni? what the hell? how does this work?

im still only 17 and ill be starting at USYD in march.
i dont turn 18 til may >_<
so shit

Casablancas

HSC
From what I've heard, most people hate/are annoyed by the first years any way. Similar to high school. Not that anybody will be able to tell how old you are

philphie

Banned
HSC
great now i have to not shave for a while to look older

katastrophe

HSC
17 year olds get bullied and shoved into lockers in their first year
encouraging.

i'm starting this year and won't be 18 until next january. which was kinda convenient for my late accommodation applications ;p at least the accommodation officers feel sorry for 17-year-olds. i'm a bit bummed about limited social life for a year, but it's the same with my friends at home anyway, so i'm used to it.

anyway i went to UQ last year, two years younger than most first-year students, and nobody treated me any differently (except when i turned up in my lime green school uniform with schoolbag in tow ...) so echoing previous messages, nobody will know or care unless you tell them and make a big deal out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)