14 Units...too much? (1 Viewer)

ratcher0071

HSC
marcquelle said:
what want to do is forensic phyopathanthology - the study of the deceased related to diet, skeletal remain/markers, & internal organ functioning. Very obscure occupation only 4 in the whole world at the moment.
Are you saying only 4 people do forensic phyopathanthology. :eek:

fuzzy09

HSC
marcquelle said:
forensic anthropology major ANU or Harvard & forensic pathology Harvard and a multitude of other uni's in us cause then i won't have to go to uni for 13years here in aus for the full degree that i wan't but at the moment i am leaning towards FORENSIC anthropolgy at ANU which i need 4U english, mathematics, biology & chemistry.
wow, marcquelle! i wish you good luck!
i think im heading towards dropping maths, although i do realise that it is a
perquisite subject for most uni courses...however i wonder if you can do a 'bridging course' if you do need maths.... hmmmm...lol

but if u do decide to drop a subject marquelle, if geography isnt one of your strongest subject, then ide drop that...up to you though, i think you can do it tho :D

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i won't drop geo unless i have to cause i'm pretty sure *not certain* that i'm first or second and i enjoy it. I'm leaning towards maths too, but ehh i don't know??? i like everything but maths, but i need maths so o ahhhhhhhhhh.

thanks, and some unis do others make yiu do a degree in maths to "compensate" but those are the ones i know of.

i think i can handle it
geography is needed for one of the us schools i'm applying tooo so ughhhh 14 will probally be it oh well.

bubblesss

HSC
marcquelle said:
what want to do is forensic phyopathanthology - the study of the deceased related to diet, skeletal remain/markers, & internal organ functioning. Very obscure occupation only 4 people in the whole world at the moment in this field.
wowie!!!!!!! good luck marcquelle.

anyways wats the minimal UAI for ur course?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
um its a composite course in australia it will take 13 years
us 7 years compsite degrees

uai in australia 89+
us uai/sat = 208 i think can't remember properly

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
since you're pretty much topping everything at school (goodjob) apart from maths, i suggest you drop it and go with 12units. If you keep it, it probably wont count towards for UAI since you're doing so well in your other subjects, also less units = less workload so you can spend more time perfecting your strong subjects. :rolleyes:

Dare

HSC
14 units isn't just a waste of time, even though they only take your top 10.
The others are still on your HSC.

Best bet would be to keep them all for the time being.
You might find that having lots of work is good for you. I know if I have lots to do, I do it, whereas if I've got free time and not much work, the pressure doesn't force me to do any work...and it remains unfinished.

My advice to you, if you had to drop something, would be to drop Visual Arts.
It's something you can more easily do in your spare time, and given your other subjects, Im assuming you're going for something big...so...I wouldn't drop any of those, they all compliment each other.

Good Luck.

njd007

HSC
ive had 15 units for the whole prelim course and have managed ok. im doing 14 units next term. but only because i do accounting at tafe. school wont let us drop down to 10 units until next year (meaning ill be doing 12 units at school next term)

rachierach

HSC
Looks like i'll be doing 14 units at the moment:
Maths 4U
Eng Adv
Economics
Business
Ancient History
Tourism (TVET)

I don't want to drop anything either! I can't decide..advice would be good. :D

Aiming for UAI 90>

I also have to do Ext Eng for the first few weeks of term 4 coz our school sucks and won't let us drop... probly just won't turn up. what a waste of time...

HSC
mate, that sounds like heaps, id say drop the chem or 2u, based on your rankings. Im in a bit of a pickle as well, picking up the Ext 2 eng, i gotta make a choice to cut:

_ ext math - 3rd
_ Physics - 2nd
_ business studies - 2nd

im probably going to kkeep them and see how i go for the first few assesment tasks to make a better decision later on

5233andy

HSC
I don't really know where to put this, but taking into account that this thread is live and active, I'll post my Q here.

My Q is: [Yes, it's stupid, don't rub it in!] If I proceed with 13 units next year, with EE2 being added onto my list, the best of 8 units + English will only be taken into account, in terms of the UAI. For the subjects that are excluded, would I be right in saying that the scaling associated with such are also excluded? I would really like the scaling associated with EE2 to be included - well my mark... that's one of the reasons as to the addition of it to my studies.

If that is the case, I'll just perform really badly in SOR1 and 2U Maths - Both subjects are compulsory over where I am and dropping down to General Maths would shock be a shocker - considering that 2U is the bare minimum for most Uni courses, in terms of assumed knowledge.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
njd007 said:
ive had 15 units for the whole prelim course and have managed ok. im doing 14 units next term. but only because i do accounting at tafe. school wont let us drop down to 10 units until next year (meaning ill be doing 12 units at school next term)
i'm doing for year 11 16 units of work (its manageable) year 12 ie starting next term and next week i have 14 units which is easily manageable and people have done 14 units in the past so give it a try for one term then go from there.

poster above: as for your question i don't understand what you mean.

freaky.styly

HSC
Hooray for my 15 Units!
4Eng 3Hist 2Legal 2Eco 2Bio and then keep General- do no work and get 95% because it's regurgitated SC material.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Linee said:
I suggest the maximum be 12 units for the HSC
why? If someone believes they are capable of and would benefit more from taking over 12 units, what is wrong with that?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
-may-cat- said:
why? If someone believes they are capable of and would benefit more from taking over 12 units, what is wrong with that?
exactly i've been doing 16units for prelim and can handle it fine and getting great marks in most subjects (the exceptions being maths [46%] and chem[75%-80%] ) and if you can handle it why not does no harm.

mariep

HSC
Im considering doing 14U aswell.
I have:
Adv. English - 2nd
Extension 1 Eng - 2nd
Business St. - 5th
Legal -1st
Visual Arts - 1st
Music - 1st
Hospitality - 1st

Then im picking up Ext. 2

Some teachers say drop to 10 UNITS.
Some said do all 14 UNITS.
Some said drop business.
But business is piss easy.. I just dont devote enough time to it.

In the end.. i think 14 is way to much, im just a bit puzzled on what to choose as the 12U.

Ill say, stick with 12U, so at least if you fuck up in one subject. You have another to fall back on.
Thinking of dropping Hospo coz the teachers a hoe, and my class is a bunch of dicks.

freaky.styly

HSC
marcquelle said:
exactly i've been doing 16units for prelim and can handle it fine and getting great marks in most subjects (the exceptions being maths [46%] and chem[75%-80%] ) and if you can handle it why not does no harm.
didn't i read that you're doing ur course again though? makes it a tad easier when a lot of the concepts are familiar to you. so 16 for you may not be as stressful as it otherwise may be for another person

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)