13 Units? (1 Viewer)

Graceuf

HSC
So we're starting the subject dropping process next week and I'm a bit torn.

My subjects are:
  • Adv English
  • 3U Maths
  • Chem
  • Bio
  • Ancient
  • Music

So 13 units all up. Now I was going to drop music because my half yearly results weren't all that good and I wasn't going too well in my pracs either. But I've gotten my results back and I went a lot better bringing my ranking up to 5th and I also really love the electives we're doing so I've been debating whether or not I still want to drop. But that would mean I have 13 units in my HSC, has anyone ever done that? I'm aware that 3 of those units won't count towards my ATAR and music will probably be two of them but I don't know. Can I keep it as kind of my less stress subject? Or just lessen my work load and drop.

Agh. This got long. Sorry.

astroman

HSC
If your doing 13 units for the HSC exam your crazy, drop to 11, i advise you to drop which ever you do worst in exams in.

Jeff_

HSC
I know quite a few in my school who are doing 13 units, one who wanted to do 14 (or was it 15?) units lol! Anyway as long as you are capable of doing 13u then by all means go for it, otherwise just drop 1 of them if you want to maintain sanity :p

blackbird_14

HSC
How are you going in your other subjects? Music can get a bit overwhelming if you don't practice (then you go oh shit two weeks before a performance because you know you won't be ready). What electives are you going to do this year? If you don't like them, then consider dropping it

atargainz

HSC
Unless you can handle the workload of 12 units, I would suggest 11 units MAX, never 13+ (unless you wanna lose your sanity). If I were you I would drop music, but remember you don't have to drop now, you can stick it out till some exams and see how you go.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
If your doing 13 units for the HSC exam your crazy, drop to 11, i advise you to drop which ever you do worst in exams in.
I did 14 and got either 1st or 2nd in all my units... In hindsight, it isn't about how many units you do, but how many you can handle comfortably and how many you think you need to get the atar you want. And don't drop something you enjoy, those are the subjects that are going to make studying for HSC that much more bearable.

But I do agree that it can get a bit hectic (I did Bio though which was basically a non-existent subject anyways...)

OP, I know people who did 15 units and got a 90+, so if you're only thinking about dropping bc everyone is telling you it's too many units, don't bother. Besides, you've got plenty of time to drop. Maybe wait till half-yearlies and if music is still not strong then drop it then?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
My friend did 14 units, with Extension History/Visual Art both having major works.

I think you should continue with the subject, because you seem to be enjoying it.

nanaa

HSC
N/A
Well it depends. Do you want to divide your time until hsc into 13 parts for each unit or use the same amount time for 11 units? It's a lot less work in the end if you drop though, and honestly I think that by the end it will be stressful either way.

YouCantMakeMe

HSC
N/A

My subjects are:
  • Adv English
  • 3U Maths
  • Chem
  • Bio
  • Ancient
  • Music

So 13 units all up. Now I was going to drop music because my half yearly results weren't all that good and I wasn't going too well in my pracs either. But I've gotten my results back and I went a lot better bringing my ranking up to 5th and I also really love the electives we're doing so I've been debating whether or not I still want to drop. But that would mean I have 13 units in my HSC, has anyone ever done that? I'm aware that 3 of those units won't count towards my ATAR and music will probably be two of them but I don't know. Can I keep it as kind of my less stress subject? Or just lessen my work load and drop.

Seeing as you're not doing as badly as you expected- If it's any motivation at all, I know a girl who did 12 units with two major works (4units of English, 4 units of maths, Visual arts & modern history) and attained a 99.95 ATAR. (Admittedly she was a beast)

Similarly know another individual who did three major projects (VA, Society and culture & DT) and achieved a high 99 atar. And many more with 12 or 13 units that achieved comparable results.

12 or 13 units isn't the death sentence people make it out to be, especially if you already have well developed time-management skills.

Personally I regret doing 11 units instead of 12.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

My subjects are:
  • Adv English
  • 3U Maths
  • Chem
  • Bio
  • Ancient
  • Music

Maybe drop music if it is definitely not going to count. Although your rank is reasonable, it is no point having a good rank, if your mark is low especially if your cohort is not strong.

diladial

gone ghost
HSC
I did 13 but I ended up not caring at all for some of my subjects (like bio lol- i used to like it but then it became more of a burden). alas bio was my best subject mark from trials. and i kept all 13. mx1 is so fun if you get it and is the least work up to the hsc because there's no theory so i didn't mind maths at all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)