100 uai (1 Viewer)

Concinnity

HSC
I have just came to a self realisation and i have concluded that the most important thing in the HSC is the word Serenity. Why? Because without a serene mind, one cannot manage the pressures of yr 12 and so cannot progress. Being serene includes laughing in shock, astonishment and disbelief when ever you get crap marks. That is not to say the your anger has reached a level where the above acts are the only responses you are capable of. it simply means taking things easy and be carefree. I'm not carefree.... but that's me.

BTW Sam, which school did u go to?

ballin

Banned
HSC
Ode to Concinnity - i haven't been on here long, but you are by far my all time favourite poster :D! although i must say, i kinda see the HSC as one big game which makes it really quite fun! because i like games. and whats more, i like to win games.

chousta

HSC
omg nik i ave been watchin this post for awhile......you sound really really really weird and philosophical(which in most cases u rnt)

wtf dude

ballin

Banned
HSC
haha! thats a bit rich coming from mr. "Aim at the sun, and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly higher than if aimed at an object on a level with yourself"

;) join me in taking down wong and diment this year

chousta

HSC
ok i will join you......

for the good of the world!!

CHARGE!

Sam.

bored.
HSC
For those who asked, I went to Hunter Valley Grammar.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
the pospinator said:
however, remember that SAM is based on past UAI scaling methods, which differe every single year

so the way a subject is scaled in 2005 for instance will be different from how it scales in 2006 or 2007

by the way, it doesn't matter what type of school u go to, if u rank 1st and own ur hsc external exams, u can get 100 UAI
Yup. One of the many advantages of going to a non-selective school :rofl:

G

gaoOO

Shrikar said:
Yup. One of the many advantages of going to a non-selective school :rofl:
but if you screw, then you're totally stuffed, as is the rest of your school

no pressure eh? :p

IceOnFire

HSC
gaoOO said:
but if you screw, then you're totally stuffed, as is the rest of your school

no pressure eh? :p
Meh... if you stuff it you stuff it.

Nothing more to do about it.

Concinnity

HSC
I haven't been on this thread for quite some time and when I did, i tediously read through every bit of writing from the very first page. Now i've just realised how much all of you dispised me (or at least rightfully pretended to do so) when I went on that fit about social elitism and academic success.

I have in many a sense repented and i believe i am no longer so much of a dickhead. Kinda got traumatised by my marks in 4 unit maths.... wasn't expecting such a low mark.... oh well. I wish everyone here and by extension, everyone in the entire of this state who are currently embarking on the first steps in the HSC 2007 year the BEST of luck and success, and hopefully our year can beat our schools' results from last year.

HSC
IceOnFire said:
What happens if your schOol is the shit of the shit of the SHIT?

I am just emphasising on how shit my school is.

Is 100 even possible then? Even if you top all your subjects?
Of course its possible. If you are smart enough and motivated enough the school you go to shouldnt affect your UAI at all. You can top all exams (you don't have to get 100% just beat everyone else), and then make sure you really ace the HSC (>95 or there abouts) and then its entirely possible to get 100. But it does help to go to a selective school where you have others pushing you. But if youre motivated and good enough that can negate that advantage.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
dont go getting ur hopes up...u need to ace all exams/assignments especially the final one...good luck tho but at least u r aiming high

G

gaoOO

watatank said:
But it does help to go to a selective school where you have others pushing you. But if youre motivated and good enough that can negate that advantage.
trust me, it doesn't. You do slightly worse than usual in an exam and suddenly your rank becomes 50/150- these one mark differences are HUGE rank differences at selective schools, so it makes it very hard to get good internal marks consistent across all subjects.

haque

HSC
ballin said:
haha! thats a bit rich coming from mr. "Aim at the sun, and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly higher than if aimed at an object on a level with yourself"

;) join me in taking down wong and diment this year
Diment won't dux it, it'll be leslie and it is highly doubtful even leslie will get a 100 uai and the reasons i have(before ppl start attacking me) is that 1) Although kostya got 100 uai in 2005, he didn't sit many exams and the guys under him in rankings or in the case of physics just ahead of him did exceptionally well meaning he got the best possible marks that could be attained with his ranks etc(if ur ranks good, u mis out on an exam due to illness and someone ranked below u does well ect(it's abit more complex than that but yeah) u get a better mark than u could have gotten under exam stress conditions. Secondly u look at all the duxes in the previous yrs, michael west 99.9, colin zhou-99.9, Andrew something(forgot his last name)-99.8 and so on don't even come near 100 uai-the last person other than kostya to rip the hsc was rohan ganeshan who got 100 TER back in 1991-i.e highly unlikely a techie in the future will get 100uai.

Secondly, u look at diment and leslie's subjects. Sure diment's doing well, but the subjects he's doing are what techies are hopeless at-so compared to other techies he's good but to the state not as good-michael west was undoubtedly the best humanities guy tech has had and he got the highest english mark from tech ever, which was 95(absolutely hopeless comparede to the good selective schools). The 100uai isn't something that can be attained on whim-in the previous yrs all the guys that did well from tech have been the maths and sciency guys-even our school captain last yr who topped the state in IPT in 2004 and had a raw economics mark at school of like 99, leaps and bounds ahea of the other eco guys, ranked 1 for english etc got 99.8-so the 100 uai shouldn't be underestimated, i mean go for it by all means, it'll be good if a techie gets a 100 uai but it is highly unlikely. Paul Cheung if he hadn't accelerated had the best chance imo-he's good at the subjects techies are good at i.e maths and the sciences. Diment imo will get a max uai of 99.9 and leslie is likely to dux yr 12.

HSC
gaoOO said:
trust me, it doesn't. You do slightly worse than usual in an exam and suddenly your rank becomes 50/150- these one mark differences are HUGE rank differences at selective schools, so it makes it very hard to get good internal marks consistent across all subjects.
This is true, but I was speaking in the context of getting 100 UAI, and I meant that a highly competitive cohort can help those already brilliant students and capable to get 100 students to rise to greater heights.

That's not to say its out of reach for those non selective schools or anything either.

jdcb4

HSC
Feel sorry for people under the impression that subjects don't matter. Generally any subject combination can give any UAI but there are maximum scalings for some subjects. JUAI gives HSC mark 100 in Art as 98, but I saw scaling data that said Art and Drama top out at 95... that is a massive disadvanatage considering that you need roughly 480+ aggregate for 100 UAI.
Someone said earlier that extension units help massively, they don't. Maths Xt1 and Xt2 generally go well, eng and hist you need to absoloutely nail to get a good aggregate form it.

G

gaoOO

watatank said:
This is true, but I was speaking in the context of getting 100 UAI, and I meant that a highly competitive cohort can help those already brilliant students and capable to get 100 students to rise to greater heights.
yes, but my point was that the competitiveness helps with external exams, but internally makes it very difficult for us to maintain good ranks. At another school, our "slightly off" day might pull down a couple of ranks, but at a selective, an off day can pull you suddenly down to average because everyone else is competitive enough to be closing in the gaps. It just makes it harder to get the good internal marks, even if you do well externally.

jdcb4

HSC
At the same time going to a selective scholl means that even if you stuff up in the external exam (Oh no, only a 94) the others will get good enough marks to prevent your internal mark from being moderated harshly. At non-selective you may top a subject, have an off day in the exam and end up with an internal mark worht only 90 or somesuch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)