10 units vs 12 units. (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm currently on 14 units, simply because I liked my subjects too much to drop them. I'm studying Law and Chemistry at university so I think I should have both of those courses; I want to work in international law so having French is pretty important for me, especially as it's a UN working language; four unit English I need because English is worst subject, but I'm somewhat better at Ext 1 than Advanced and at Ext. 2 than Ext. 1 so I kind of need all four to pull out two decent units of it (if Advanced had to go to my ATAR I'd go check out my local TAFE now and save myself a bunch of time); Modern I love and it's probably my best subject, I kind of justify it because it makes a good background for international law (kind of?) and religion is compulsory so I do non ATAR. Even with 14 units I have to bridge maths and maybe physics so I guess the reason why I have so many is because my interests are in multiple areas. I know I can get a good ATAR with the humanities and chem, so I'm taking them for the HSC. Maths I would have to work much harder for and I'd probably only be able to get a very low band six in mathematics so I don't see the point in doing 16 units to get it in there!

pHyRe

HSC
start with 12 then if you hate a subject or suck at it drop to 10.

personally, i did 12 throughout and by the end i 'knew' that one subject was probably gonna get edged out by another. Then I got my marks i stuffed up chem and got 89 and 88 in another and all the calculators said the 89 in chem would count which is what i assumed happened until I got something in the mail that said the 88 somehow counted!!

so, doing 12 units probably got me an extra 0.1 ATAR im guessing haha. But, looking back, if i wanted the best possible atar i woulda done 4u, eng adv, phys, chem. but unless the cutoff moves a lot, i should get into the course i wanted even though i cocked up a bit.

tl;dr: Do 12 units, drop it if you feel like it after your first term. Doing 10 might help a little, but there is a risk of screwing up.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I did 10. Hated physics to death and realised i was much more efficient in studying my other subs so i just dropped.

Even though i advocate 10 units if you drop, don't neccesarily think you'll spend all (or even most) of your newfound free time studying the 10 units you have. If you're lazy you'll just waste time/free periods hahahahahah

mkat

HSC
I'm currently doing 12, with a view of dropping either Ext his or ancient. I really dislike ancient, but at the moment we haven't started ext his, so I'm kind of stuck? I honestly don't see the point in continuing with a subject I don't like, and is of no interest to me as a career, but I'm wary of having ten units (especially if two of those are extension units). I would drop ag as it is my worst scaling subject and it is dragging my ATAR estimate down apparently, but I want a career in ag so I really don't know what to do. Suggestions?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel safer with 12 as I know that its quite likely for me to stuff up one of the subjects. I also have no idea out of 3 different subjects which one may count so its not worth dropping any for that reason

ShadowLighte

HSC
I started with 12 but I want to drop cafs to 10 because it's my worst subject, scaling is crap and I'm not interested in the HSC course at all. I think everyone has already posted the arguments as to why do 12 vs 10.

jenslekman

HSC
do 12 if you're interested in all 12 units, do 10 if you're just doing the last 2 for "backup".

ShadowLighte

HSC
I'm currently doing 12, with a view of dropping either Ext his or ancient. I really dislike ancient, but at the moment we haven't started ext his, so I'm kind of stuck? I honestly don't see the point in continuing with a subject I don't like, and is of no interest to me as a career, but I'm wary of having ten units (especially if two of those are extension units). I would drop ag as it is my worst scaling subject and it is dragging my ATAR estimate down apparently, but I want a career in ag so I really don't know what to do. Suggestions?
Hm, I suggest you wait or ask your teacher- maybe head teacher. For extension history, I suggest you look at the syllabus and see whether or not you'd be interested but I mean you chose it for a reason so there should be some interest there. Usually those who do really well in history are considered for extension so either you're doing well in another history or your school is different. What is it that you don't like about ancient? I'm doing it and though I made a stupid mistake by not reading the question properly in the last assessment, it seems to be okay though there's quite a bit of content involved.

Don't worry about the scaling for Ag so as long as you're doing well. If you want to do it in the future and you're passionate about it, I'm sure you're going to do well. If it's dragging your atar down, perhaps you need to spend extra time on it. Hm, maybe talk to your year advisor/ career advisor. Btw, what career are you looking to do in ag?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)