10 or 12 units? (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok i know that there's already a thread based on this but my situation is kinda different to those in the other thread cos i don't do any extensions nor does my current subjects offer any extensions. i've just got my results back and i did pretty crap but i have two major dilemmas on whether to drop ipt or stick to the current 12 units?

for most of the prelim year, my results in ipt are very good but those are just assessments. when i got my yearly exam results for that subject back, i got 33% and a ranking of 14/16. but my teacher recommend me not to drop it because in my other assessments, i got mainly 90% or so and the ranking is usually 1/16 (i think it's the bludginess). but the reason why i did crap in ipt exam is that i have trouble remembering all that processing stuff. also, the style of questions in that exam are ridiculous.

i want to drop to 10 units so i can concentrate on subjects and have less pressure on my workload but i also want to keep a back up subject for safety purposes in case i do bad in my other subjects and suddenly do good in ipt if my marks get better in later exams. i'm confused! nearly everyone at my school are dropping/changing subjects which seems to make 10 units even more appealing. there's even free periods! but the safety thing is still something to consider.

any suggestions plz? (subjects i'm studying are in my sig)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
i reckon keep to 12, if u can do it... it'll be worthwhile in the end.
but it really depends on how confident u r.
my advice, do the subjects u enjoy, and if that's 12 units, so be it!

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
there are two ways about it: either you do lots of units and it gives you room to move but you have to study more, or you do minimum units and you dont have much room for error but a smaller amount of workload, so it could be easier to concentrate on those subjects. i went for the latter option, and so far its working out pretty well i reckon :)

J

jhakka

**freakstar87** said:
ok i know that there's already a thread based on this but my situation is kinda different to those in the other thread cos i don't do any extensions nor does my current subjects offer any extensions. i've just got my results back and i did pretty crap but i have two major dilemmas on whether to drop ipt or stick to the current 12 units?

for most of the prelim year, my results in ipt are very good but those are just assessments. when i got my yearly exam results for that subject back, i got 33% and a ranking of 14/16. but my teacher recommend me not to drop it because in my other assessments, i got mainly 90% or so and the ranking is usually 1/16 (i think it's the bludginess). but the reason why i did crap in ipt exam is that i have trouble remembering all that processing stuff. also, the style of questions in that exam are ridiculous.

i want to drop to 10 units so i can concentrate on subjects and have less pressure on my workload but i also want to keep a back up subject for safety purposes in case i do bad in my other subjects and suddenly do good in ipt if my marks get better in later exams. i'm confused! nearly everyone at my school are dropping/changing subjects which seems to make 10 units even more appealing. there's even free periods! but the safety thing is still something to consider.

any suggestions plz? (subjects i'm studying are in my sig)
As I have sigs turned off, I can't make any reccomendations based on your subjects (since I can't see them), however I reccomend that you keep IPT.

The reason being that the course is much easier in Year 12, as it relates to actual systems in the option topics (Transaction Processing Systems, Decision Support Systems, Automated Manufacturing Systems, and Multimedia) as well as Communication Systems and (to a lesser extent) databases. In addition, these topics relate to aspects of everyday life, so the content is more relevant than a whole bunch of information about feasibility studies and such. The exam style is different, as most of it is scenario based, and many questions require knowledge about the topic in order to suggest an appropriate solution.

The HSC course is superior by far to the Preliminary course, with less focus on getting a project done, but rather on the means by which an objective can be achieved. Most of it is (literally) just facts about different types of hardware and equipment. It's all good.

EDIT: On the note of having 10 or 12 units, if there is a course you know for a fact (like you're 99.9999% sure that it will not count towards your UAI [as in it's a good 20% or so below your other subjects, marks wise]), I reccomend you drop to 10, though if you're like me and prefer a bit of leeway with your units for "just in case" purposes, keep 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scanorama

HSC
If you can handle 12 units and like all the subjects you are doing then it is worthwhile to keep it. You can drop down to 10 units at any time from now to right before the HSC starts. It may sounds lots of work for doing 12 units but some people can actually do it. I know a chick who has done 12 units and her assessment this year was above average. It is securer than doing 10 units in case you screw up one subject

J

jhakka

12 units are initially compulsory at my school, however a few people have dropped down to 10.

A couple of my friends do 13.

HSC
jhakka said:
As I have sigs turned off, I can't make any reccomendations based on your subjects (since I can't see them), however I reccomend that you keep IPT.

The reason being that the course is much easier in Year 12, as it relates to actual systems in the option topics (Transaction Processing Systems, Decision Support Systems, Automated Manufacturing Systems, and Multimedia) as well as Communication Systems and (to a lesser extent) databases. In addition, these topics relate to aspects of everyday life, so the content is more relevant than a whole bunch of information about feasibility studies and such. The exam style is different, as most of it is scenario based, and many questions require knowledge about the topic in order to suggest an appropriate solution.

The HSC course is superior by far to the Preliminary course, with less focus on getting a project done, but rather on the means by which an objective can be achieved. Most of it is (literally) just facts about different types of hardware and equipment. It's all good.

EDIT: On the note of having 10 or 12 units, if there is a course you know for a fact (like you're 99.9999% sure that it will not count towards your UAI [as in it's a good 20% or so below your other subjects, marks wise]), I reccomend you drop to 10, though if you're like me and prefer a bit of leeway with your units for "just in case" purposes, keep 12.
since your sig thing is turned off, here's my subjects:
english advanced, maths adv 2u, chemistry, legal studies, sor 2u, ipt
but the advice seems pretty helpful so far since i;m doing pretty average in chemistry as well... :uhhuh:

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
yeah, you get people like that... a guy i know is doing at least 14 units and he is coming first in german, first in ext1 maths, top 5 in ext2 english and french, and relatively high in everything else. absolute brainiac.

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
hahaha, his name is owen mckay, but i strongly advise against a relationship - he is such a bitchy guy, he bitches about everything and always in german as well, because our class is small and our teacher is nice. but yeah he may be smart but personality wise he is an arsehole

D_A

captain obvious.
HSC
bloodysunday said:
hahaha, he is such a bitchy guy, he bitches about everything and he is an arsehole
Oh dear, the irony.

henry

HSC
11. its the best way to sit on the fence.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
yeah keep the 12 i reckon. i was doing 9U in Year 12 because i did 3U of Japanese last year. it's been pretty boring only doing 9U and you need to make sure that you'll actually stay motivated in all your free periods. Dropping Geo has actually been good though because i now finish on the 2nd instead of the 11th :)

xeriphic

the highest in our school was 16 units, and this year is 14 units lol, I would suggest keep it only if you think the workload is not too high

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)