10 or 12 units ??? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah copy him, do the same subjects and then u can get 100!
No! No one copies my hero! I don't want to have too many heroes...:(

@OP: Keep 12 since you are not sure what to drop. You only really go down to 10 if you know what to drop & confident about your subjects.

georgefren

HSC
I'm sure it's possible to do well with 10, as dp is indicative of. I just personally consider the safety net of 12 more valuable than the extra time given by 10 units. Plus a guy in our school got state listed for 12 units. thats pretty cool. although he did 14, and didnt get a uai of 100 since english had to count. ha.

dp624

HSC
georgefren said:
I'm sure it's possible to do well with 10, as dp is indicative of. I just personally consider the safety net of 12 more valuable than the extra time given by 10 units. Plus a guy in our school got state listed for 12 units. thats pretty cool. although he did 14, and didnt get a uai of 100 since english had to count. ha.
Hey who was that? and who got the 100s?
I think eman got one, i saw him as Usyd med interviews

missgraceful

What a joke..
HSC
Thats lame. We aren't allowed to drop subjects anymore, as of the end of last term. I suppose a term is long enough to figure out whether you want to stay in a subject or not.
But anyway, I would say do 10. Allows more time for all of the rest of your subjects, as they are all demanding courses. Personally I am doing 11, in the hopes that because the subjects are broken down into marks of 50 (1 units) I will only have one unit of maths counting (my best unit), as that is the subject I am likely to do worse in.
Its up to you. If you like you subjects then stick with it and see how you go. Dont leave it too long though!

G.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
missgraceful said:
Thats lame. We aren't allowed to drop subjects anymore, as of the end of last term. I suppose a term is long enough to figure out whether you want to stay in a subject or not.
But anyway, I would say do 10. Allows more time for all of the rest of your subjects, as they are all demanding courses. Personally I am doing 11, in the hopes that because the subjects are broken down into marks of 50 (1 units) I will only have one unit of maths counting (my best unit), as that is the subject I am likely to do worse in.
Its up to you. If you like you subjects then stick with it and see how you go. Dont leave it too long though!

G.
You're not allowed to drop subjects anymore? But year 12 content is different to year 11 content. Man if i had stuck with bio i would've used bio as a free until they kicked me out if they didn't let me drop it!

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
proringz said:
Do 10 and drop Bio. With the rest of your subjects, unless you do horribly bad in Physics or Chem, Bio won't count in your UAI. I did 10 units with your subjects excluding Bio.
I completely agree.

Megson

HSC
proringz said:
Do 10 and drop Bio. With the rest of your subjects, unless you do horribly bad in Physics or Chem, Bio won't count in your UAI. I did 10 units with your subjects excluding Bio.
I disagree. I guess it depends on what you call horribly bad. If you get a high mark in biology, one of your physics or chemistry won't count. For example I got a 96 in biology and my chemistry didn't count. It was my lowest at 87. And even if I had got 93 it still wouldn't have counted over biology (according to SAM). However if your marks are really equal in each then biology is probably the one to drop, since it is 'easier' to get marks in, and thus the equivilent mark in physics or chemistry is much better. Ask your teachers if you really are equal in all.

I did 11 units. I personally wanted to focus on less subjects. Overall I really don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to your UAI as there are disadvantages and advantages to both.

You could do 12 and do the extra work load. This may or may not benefit you as you might go well in all exams and then it hasn't been worth it. Though others would argue you sometimes don't know what you will go best in.

You could do 10 and have less work. This may or may not benefit you as you might bomb out in an exam, then your in a touch of trouble. Having said that your chances of bombing out might be less as you've had a bit more time to study.

In the end I think you need to talk it over with people who know you and how you perform in exams, how well you time manage, and how you deal with stress. That way you can make a decision best suited to you.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
I think you'd be better off making this decision a little later when you have a clearer idea of which subjects you're excelling in, in comparision to others.

If you're really struggling with the workload, then drop down to 10.

However, if you feel that you're coping with the workload fine, then keep your units and see how you go. Doing 3 sciences is also advantageous as there is course content overlap.

Then maybe after the half yearly, reassess your situation. If you really can't see a reason to drop anything, then I suggest you keep them all - it makes you feel at ease knowing you have a backup, hence less stress.

Ultimately though, its up to you, do what you feel is going to be best for your HSC.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
ok this is my experience.
i did 12 units.
hated society and culture the most, and thought about dropping it all the time. my most confident subject was modern history.
hsc results come out.
society i got 92.
modern i got 84.
so my point is, if you are going equally well in all of them, you may as well keep them all. you can't predict whether or not you might screw up an exam, and if you plan your time well enough, 12 units is not too much to cope with. and either way, you may aswell keep it for another term at least and see how you're going then, it's not too late to drop then. i know quite a few people who were dropping subjects right up until before trials even.

eggy91

HSC
hey im just wondering if you do 12 units and bomb your HSC exam for two 2 unit subjects but ace the assessments in those 2 subjects does it get rid of the 2 exam units for both subjects and still keep the 2 assessment units for both subjects??

dp624

HSC
eggy91 said:
hey im just wondering if you do 12 units and bomb your HSC exam for two 2 unit subjects but ace the assessments in those 2 subjects does it get rid of the 2 exam units for both subjects and still keep the 2 assessment units for both subjects??
no way dude

eggy91

HSC
woah i thought they split up 2 unit subs into 2 parts in order to maximise your UAI, damn!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
eggy91 said:
woah i thought they split up 2 unit subs into 2 parts in order to maximise your UAI, damn!
they can split it up but not like that, if u do an odd number of units, they can split a 2unit subject to be worth 1 unit but still consisting of the school assessments and hsc exam

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol, just do 12. It's a lot safer than 10. If you can't handle the workload at any point in time, drop it. Simple.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
I'm stuck on the same boat as you OP. I'm currently on 12 units and thinking of (98% sure) dropping Japanese. My reasons for dropping it is that I think it's far too time consuming, I'm not bothered with it, I can't memorise all 60 pages worth of vocab and the competition is getting fiercer. But on the other hand, I'm also doing 4u maths and that gets harder and harder and I'm not too sure if I can keep up with it and have it as my 10th unit. So I'm really stuck as well :(
Lol Yvonne, your situation is different. You really dislike/cbf doing Japanese, so obviously you should drop :lol:
But OP is doing decent in all 3 subjects. As a result, he shouldn't drop until further down the track..

IMO anyways.

proringz

HSC
Megson said:
I disagree. I guess it depends on what you call horribly bad. If you get a high mark in biology, one of your physics or chemistry won't count. For example I got a 96 in biology and my chemistry didn't count. It was my lowest at 87. And even if I had got 93 it still wouldn't have counted over biology (according to SAM). However if your marks are really equal in each then biology is probably the one to drop, since it is 'easier' to get marks in, and thus the equivilent mark in physics or chemistry is much better. Ask your teachers if you really are equal in all.

I did 11 units. I personally wanted to focus on less subjects. Overall I really don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to your UAI as there are disadvantages and advantages to both.

You could do 12 and do the extra work load. This may or may not benefit you as you might go well in all exams and then it hasn't been worth it. Though others would argue you sometimes don't know what you will go best in.

You could do 10 and have less work. This may or may not benefit you as you might bomb out in an exam, then your in a touch of trouble. Having said that your chances of bombing out might be less as you've had a bit more time to study.

In the end I think you need to talk it over with people who know you and how you perform in exams, how well you time manage, and how you deal with stress. That way you can make a decision best suited to you.
Ok, how I'll make it horribly bad as in below 75 and the Biology mark is not extremely high/er than the Chemistry/Physics mark e.g 96 as above.

lordesf

HSC
i recoomend u droping bio or chem (whichever one u feel unfondient or geting bad marks)

But dont drop til like mid yrs cause u change al the time, like me i only knew the subjects i would be taking as my "10" until like end of term 2.

so ye.. ui was so glad i didnt drop early cause i would of droped physics(hated it at the time ause of the teacher..) rather than IPt.

IT was like during the term 2 holidays when i relaised physics aint so bad, so i droped IPt instead even though my physics marks werent tht good i knew physics is a high scaling subject, and indeed it helped as IPT would of scaled me down

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
I'm stuck on the same boat as you OP. I'm currently on 12 units and thinking of (98% sure) dropping Japanese. My reasons for dropping it is that I think it's far too time consuming, I'm not bothered with it, I can't memorise all 60 pages worth of vocab and the competition is getting fiercer. But on the other hand, I'm also doing 4u maths and that gets harder and harder and I'm not too sure if I can keep up with it and have it as my 10th unit. So I'm really stuck as well :(
98% sure of dropping japanese?

Then is that 2% sure of dropping mx2?

Then I would go for dropping Japanese.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Nah 2% not sure of dropping Japanese because I need it for backup reasons, but I'm finding, what is the point in doing it when I can't even be bothered to put effort into studying. Just a waste of 120hours I think ...
Drop it. If you can't be stuffed doing the work and actually hate the subject, the chances of you doing well enough to use it as a back up is slim to none. Save your time and ace your other subjects :)

If only that were the case with me... but i love all my subjects so I'm not dropping XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)