$10+$10+$10=$29? Solve this (1 Viewer)

dipis

HSC
Three ladies have lunch at a restaurant. When they are finished, the waiter tells them the bill comes to $30. They each hand him a ten dollar bill. When he brings the money to into the kitchen, the restaurant owner tells him that he made a mistake: The bill should only come to $25 and the owner hands him five singles. On the way to the table, the waiter realizes that he cannot divide five singles three, even ways, so he decides to pocket $2 and he gives each of the three ladies a one dollar bill. So now, each lady has paid $9, which comes to 3 x $9 = $27 and the waiter has $2. Twenty-seven plus two comes to $29, but there was originally $30. What happened to the extra dollar?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Well, if the waiter takes $2 and gives the other $3 back, then the three ladies would have paid $28 altogether (25 + 3 = 28). $28 is not divisible by 3. $25 wasn't divisible by 3 either. That extra dollar lies in there somewhere. :p

SeDaTeD

HSC
Well, it only looks like a paradox because you are putting the wrong numbers together. Say if the meals cost 10 dollars instead of 25. Then the waiter would have to return 20 dollars, but since he can't split it into 3 equal amounts, he keeps 2 dollars and gives 6 each to the customers. So each person paid 4 dollars. Then you pick out the wrong numbers to add together, like so: 3x4 + 2 = 14. Where's the missing $16?

The above question looks more subtle because instead of a number like 16, you've got 1.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Police must've shut down that party. Shame, it was only starting.
Footmodel, please use a different thread, preferably outside the maths forum to do your fighting. Just leave this thread if you are not interested in the actual topic.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
footmodel said:
yer we were just getting reved up
yeah bro, i was jus getting revved up. just like my dub yar ex. (WRX)

footmodel

dippy24 said:
Three ladies have lunch at a restaurant. When they are finished, the waiter tells them the bill comes to $30. They each hand him a ten dollar bill. When he brings the money to into the kitchen, the restaurant owner tells him that he made a mistake: The bill should only come to $25 and the owner hands him five singles. On the way to the table, the waiter realizes that he cannot divide five singles three, even ways, so he decides to pocket $2 and he gives each of the three ladies a one dollar bill. So now, each lady has paid $9, which comes to 3 x $9 = $27 and the waiter has $2. Twenty-seven plus two comes to $29, but there was originally $30. What happened to the extra dollar?
you want my honest answer... split the bill up to what each should pay for the meal then u will avoid all hassle and missing money

nit

HSC
lol is this the start of spamfest II?

And yeh, point taken Rob...factor in what you paid the waiter, and the hotel, and it all works out nicely.

hehe rex...get a REAL car :)...eg a bugatti veyron

footmodel

nit said:
lol is this the start of spamfest II?

And yeh, point taken Rob...factor in what you paid the waiter, and the hotel, and it all works out nicely.

no its not spamfest 2... the fighting is over.... i won!!!!!!!!!

SeDaTeD

HSC
Well threads get deleted if they get out of hand. Sadly some have to ruin sensible discussion for us.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
dippy24 said:
Hey do they delete threads and how did they know the other one was full of all that shit

Cos that was MY thread and i didnt say ne1 could wipe it off the map
They obviously had a quick read of the thread and saw it was full of spam, and it is their responsibility to handle it appropriately.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
Well threads get deleted if they get out of hand. Sadly some have to ruin sensible discussion for us.
sorry mate. i'll leave this one for your sensible discussion. I'll let footmodel be content with his 'win'. Leaving forum.

Sober

HSC
. Twenty-seven plus two comes to $29, but there was originally $30. What happened to the extra dollar?
Should be written as: Twenty-seven minus two comes to $25 which is exactly what was paid.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
nit said:
What happened to the Skyline?

But yeah, stupid paradox, as SeDaTeD pointed out.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Sober's correct.

Each lady paid: $9
Bill: $25
Waiter has: $2

So the total amount paid was $27: $25 for the bill and $2 for the waiter. The extra 3 dollars has gone back to the ladies.

I_F

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Teeheehee I've seen an exact question like this before, only it was about three ppl paying for a boat trip :D Beat me there Sober :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)