• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

中文歌詞! (2 Viewers)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
good news everyone. i saw two mods yesterday: minai and truly-in-bliss...

ohhh and i'm hypothetically a million bucks richer, coz my character won his aunty's will case (thank you bubz for giving me a million bucks of your estate) hahaha.

and i've almost finished my court report - just need to edit/appendix/biblio...

life is good. the end. :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
scuse my innocence, but whats a "bedtime proverb"?

i think ill chuck a frigid and post up a little bit of fun "light reading" here for yall to enjoy :)

The Greek philosopher Epictetus once remarked, “Man is not disturbed by events, but by the view he takes of them…”- that is to say, a stimulus has no innate meaning except the personal significance we attach to it. The placebo (Latin for “I shall be pleasing) is a modern example of this very concept. Known to laymen as the ‘sugar pill’, doctors throughout the last century have hotly debated the mechanisms by which placebos appear to elicit a physical response from the patient. Some skeptics dismiss it as medical ‘quackery’ whilst others swear by its effectiveness. Ben Wyld in “If pain persists consult your doctor for swift, sweet relief” is so bold as to suggest that “Placebos may one day have a legitimate place in medical treatment”. Whether a miracle cure or diabolical scam, we must be able to consider four key domains in any given article (authority, accuracy, objectivity and currency) in order to evaluate its value in relation to other sources of contemporary literature. Throughout the course of this discussion I shall critically evaluate the wealth of attitudes towards placebos from different textual media in relation to each other, and the prescribed newspaper article in establishing a personal informed opinion.
The ‘placebo’ could be defined as medical treatment which has no proven clinical effect but produces comparably favourable outcomes in patients with certain conditions. “A placebo could be pharmacological (e.g., a tablet), physical (e.g., a manipulation), or psychological (e.g., a conversation)” (Hrobjartsson & Gotzsche, 2001). Two mechanisms that have been proposed for explaining this seemingly perplexing phenomenon are the “conditioning model” (biological) and the “expectancy model” (psychological).
According to the conditioning model, previous participation in medical treatment and their outcomes (it might be a swift recovery or negative associations of doctors in white coats) strongly influences how they are likely to react in future encounters. The reaction is not unlike the Russian physiologist Pavlov’s notable experiment in which dogs learnt to associate a bell with feeding over time and therefore developed a conditioned response of salivation upon hearing a bell. Likewise, if a patient consistently experienced favourable outcomes after being treated by a particular physician, then s/he might make a recovery on subsequent occasions where placebo was used. This is because the patient has a reasonable belief that the physician will solve the problem.
A subtly different theory is that of the “expectancy model”. In short, the patient will experience outcomes in accordance with his or her initial expectations since the body works synergistically with the mind. In a certain experiment, 80 percent of volunteers who were given plain water vomited after they were told they were instead given an emetic (Fields, 1997). This is in accordance with one quote in the article, which maintains that “The belief or expectation that an individual has, that they will experience pain relief [when given treatment], initiates biological action”.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ive lost my touch for intros, or it might just be cos im reading govteen.com
:p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
WOW o_O...

so many replies... my eyes go @@ from readin all those...
i am srsly gonna vomit 2mororw, for the 8am lecture... hate stat... so much wish i can jsut skip it ><

*DIE!!!!! STAT!!!!!!

just chat/mp3/asgmt for like 3 hrs... this q so hard... ani help??? *begs ~~~

sigh~~~ sorry i am just tired and frustrated cuzi can't get this q straight... =(
newayz... nite nite pplz =)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Socratic dialogue is in essence a literary form, yet through post-Socratic philosophers, embodies an analytical process in which the dialectic is seen as process of attaining the ultimate or highest tier of philosophical knowledge. These dialectics are not meant to be historically accurate, nor are they purely literary works, but a combination of the two and also underlying the philosophical process in which a theory or hypothesis is tested and ultimately shown to be illegitimate. Through Plato’s ‘reconstruction’ of Socrates’ trial, Apology, as a case study of the method, we can explore the intricacies and workings of the Socratic dialogue.

Integral within this medium is the figure of Socrates as a representation of the concepts being purported through the pen of the philosopher. Whether it is a historically accurate representation or if it is a highly stylised and

2 hours and several tea refills later.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)