Wilson's fourteen points (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
heys ! well im just wondering if anyone can indicate to me whether or not each point was achieve and if not achieved can you explain why? thanks in advance.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
If I remember correctly very few were actually realised in Europe. Remember; His 14 points were a plan for disarmament, unity and peace throughout Europe and not America. As a result, they were far less lively to be applied by the Europeans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_Fourteen_Points

that's a far better answer.

need2studi

HSC
The fournteen points were used as a model for peace terms, though France and Brtian saw them as vague and thought if used Germany would not be able to keep its promises and find loop holes around them. Harsher rules were placed upon them such as the relinquishing of all their colonies and the war reparations had to be payed off at around 42 years it was that large.

Last edited:

brightsea

HSC
need2studi said:
The fournteen points were used as a model for peace terms, though France and Britain saw them as vague and thought if used Germany would not be able to keep its promises and find loop holes around them.
The Fourteen Points were never accepted by France and Britain, and therefore, never used as the basis for a common peace. However, they allowed Germany to think that they were signing the armistice based on the Fourteen Points.

As need2studi pointed out, Britain and France did think the term were too vague but also too relaxed. France especially under Clemenceau wanted revenge against Germany ever since the Franco-Prussian War in 1870, when Germany invaded and claimed the Alsace-Lorriane region. Also there was mounting public opinion in Britain and France that Germany should have to pay for the massive cost of the war.

Some of the Fourteen Points were accepted such as France regaining Alsace-Lorraine but many others weren't such as:

1. There should be no secret treaties.
2. There should be free trade between the countries.
3. There should be international disarmament.
4. Etc.

Wilson was heavily critised for his proposal as it was seen as an American meddling in European affairs, of which he had no deep knowledge of i.e. past conflicts, power struggles, economic affairs of the region.

Of all the points Wilson pushed for the creation of the League of Nations as he thought it could correct some of the less desirable outcomes of Versailles and deter future conflict.

Britain and France didn't like the idea of handing their sovereignty over to an international organisation, although they became the only two major powers to have membership. The USA Congress voted against joining the LoN, Germany and Russia under communist rule weren't allowed to join and not all countries accepted the authority of the LoN. This meant that the organisation became more of policing body for the Treaty of Versailles and was never really effective.

Hope this helps, hopeles5ly. :)

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
thanks to all =] appreciate it hehe ..

hmm am i the only one who hates ww1? ><"

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Remember as well, that Wilson's interests do not nesessarily translate to the interests of America or the American people. Wilson was an individual- a liberal idealist with his own vision of international relations and the need for a stable and justice-based world peace. Perhaps the fact that he wasn't re-elected to President at the end of the war is a testament to this.

GubGub

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
heys ! well im just wondering if anyone can indicate to me whether or not each point was achieve and if not achieved can you explain why? thanks in advance.
I am studying wilson's fourteen points at the moment but as soon as i get the anser i will post for you... but im very much doubting that they were seeing Americas Stupidtity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)