whitehouse (1 Viewer)

HSC
did you get my "private message"? i have never used this "private message" thing before... and thought i would give it a shot...was having a bit of a random day yesterday!

HSC
sorry i should have mentioned...that question was aimed at alexmartinek... i thought i better mention that otherwise the whole world will be lookung in there inbox's!

alexmartinek

HSC
thanks vintage costumer! sounds like you are my twin!
i dont have facebook or myspace unfortunately but i do have MSN....i sent you a private message with my MSN hotmail.....lol dont worry i have random days all the time

Last edited:

Emica

HSC
whitehouse is a great school. i did a tvet course with them that finished in january. it week for 6 weeks spread throughout the year. they teach you everything and you don't even have to know how to sew to o cos the teach/reteach you everything they know. for their interview process they don't care about visual arts or textiles cos thats wat a profile is for, theywant toi know about subject like maths, modern history, science even, cos they want to know how you can apply yourself. your portfoli doesn't have to have sewing design in it, cos you can just have sketches of anyhting that can show your creative interests or flair and if they see potential your in. they only want a uai of 65 or equivalent and in your third year they offer scholarships to an italian school to finish youreducation however noone has won it who didn't do the tvet course, however last year they had three scholarships to give away, and onlky five people went up for it, so the odds are good. and one of the teacher's Natalie Kambos is totally rad. before 12 oclock on the first day of the tvet course she knew all 85 students by name. the school has good connections and the school it'self is amazing (but the fourht floor is horribl in summer lol) they have open days in june, check the calender on their site for info.

Mz Prettifull

HSC
yeah mah friend and i were thinking of going there... but have no idea wat to do. but were hoping and see if we've could get in :)

GracieBelle

HSC
Thats ok.

Yes i am interested in fashion design...but moreso costume design. i figure that if i study costume design and take that career path i can always convert to fashion design. whereas it would be harder to go from fashion into costume. It's so exciting... i just want to be doing it now...9 months left!

i went to the whitehouse for a short course for fashion (1 wk) it was absolutley amazing, breathtaking...wow... and aas soon as you step in the building you can feel the immense creativity...well for me anyway! I didnt want to leave....and all the people(that i met anyway) were extremely nice (students/teachers)

so i am probably just rambling on.... but was an amazing place to be for the short time i was there.

also, there is other courses such as the fbi(fashion and business together), uts (but i think you need a very high uai), and i am not sure but there seems to be alot of top designers (eg: wayne cooper, alex perry,etc )that studied at east sydney tech...i dont know if this even exists anymore...

anyways...

hope this helps...
Did u go to the Sydney or Melbourne campus? I was in a competition with 4 other finalists and the whitehouse illustration course was the prize but I don't think I won since everyone else was from Sydney and they were reluctant to pay for my flight to Sydney...
I'm applying to go to the Melbourne campus next year in January for the introductory and advanced design illustration course and am really keen!

HSC
I went to Sydney...
Yeah its annoying about the flight thing!You may have won, i am sure they dont descriminate against you living outside sydney.When do you find out? Yes they probably wont pay for your flight but this is the most amazing experience( for me anyway)!we stayed for a week, in a hotel, then we had other costs like food,fuel and not to mention shopping... But it was totally worth it! I was lucky that i won that scholarship cause it saved me the $500 or whatever it is attend the course. Its the most rewarding experience. And if you did win, its a wonderful thing to put on your resume.

That is good that you have enrolled for the introductory and advanced short courses anyway! It is this sort of dedication that you need in the industry, ive been told. I am planning to do the advanced course( since i have already done the introductory) sometime in the future. it is a good extra to put on your application for future fashion courses(big ones, degrees are they called... the 2 or 3 year ones)

I loved being around people who actually get what i am on about and share my talents and hobbies.

Congratulations for being a finalist! What did you have to do?

GracieBelle

HSC
I had to design an outfit for a Sims character and send it into Dolly magazine. I sent in like 7 entires and the stylist told me that the beauty editor had them all up on her wall so I was pretty stoked! But I'm pretty sure I haven't won because they are yet to call me...and they said that the winner would be interviewed on the 15th October which has come and passed. It was just a little weird that I was the only one from out of sydney and they seemed so shocked when I told them I was on the border of NSW and Qld and would need to fly down haha. I'm probably going to go to the Melbourne one because I have family down there that I can stay with. I'm really excited!

HSC
Oh well, It sounds as though you are really talented, and its all good experience. Keep any documentation and suff that they gave you... like to say you were a finalist... its all good to put into your porfolio. I know i have keep photos of all the theatre costumes i have made, awards, random creations, and the like. It adds up when you look back, and is all helpful when applying for fashion courses....I am sure that you enjoy the short courses, and it helps being able to stay with family. fingers crossed i will be able to do one next year but I am moving and travelling, so it might be a bit of a squeeze. Do you want to do fashion design when you leave school?Goodluck in your future designing days!

HSC
we had a class workshop and i won the fashion design illustrative short course which is in this coming january. reading about your experience has made me so excited, i can't wait to go!
costume design is what i really want to do as well, im doing it for my ip in drama as well as my mtp. in year 10 i had an exciting week like that, i did work experience with luke sales and anna plunkett from romance was born and stayed in the city for the week. its such an amazing moment when you come to the realization that this is what i want to do! during my week of work exp. they [anna and luke] were meeting with cate blanchett to design costumes for the STC and i just wanted to trade places with them! recently got to go see streetcar named desire as well (OMG JOEL EDGERTON!) and i was just sitting there analysing all the costumes and their significance, im so lame, and perving on joel edgerton....sooo good.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)