Which text book is better: excel or Jacaranda or any other? (1 Viewer)

Shocker_85

HElp....
im starting year 12 on Monday :(
Which text book is better: excel or Jacaranda or any other?

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Well...

I'm in the same position as you, although I have the Excel book and from what I've seen it isn't very good.

It has worked examples and some questions at the end of each chapter, which is good, but not very good explanations.

My suggestion? Wait until you go back to school and ask your teacher about what has been cut from the physics syllabus and make a decision on whether getting a book is necessary at all.

;-)

Jellymonsta

I'm really upset about how they are cutting the science courses down.
Dammit if i had to do the whole course (this year) then so should you ppl next year!!
But it sounds like their going to be the correct sizes. Makes me sad. And jealous.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
get jacaranda and excel
but wait till the new ammended copies have been released, to account for the changes in the syllabus

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW...

Feel my wrath!
I'm in the lucky cohort, because we did a lot of work in the prelim year and now, as it comes to the crunch, we don't have to do so much.

Yeah, I do kinda feel sorry for you. But meh, I wouldn't have minded doing the extra work, you're learning a lot of interesthing things. Take pride in that.

-CHUDYMASTER-

Jellymonsta

That's true it is a really interesting course.
But i have the feeling that somehow the smaller syllabus is going to make the HSC just a tad less demanding for you. :mad:
Actually i dont mind that much, but they have known the courses were too big since last year, and haven't really addressed the problem for current y12 (except for scaling, possibly, i dont know about that)

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
I doubt that...

I mean, doesn't all that scaling and moderation stuff come into consideration after the HSC? I could be wrong however, but how else will they know until the cohort has done the exams?

Jellymonsta

yeah thats what i meant.
i mean the scaling might factor in the sciences being too large this year, and next year the scaling might drop fractionally in relation to other courses.
like i said, i dont know, and i actually doubt they'd do that, but i suppose it is possible. We all know that "They" are all bastards.
:)

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Agreed.

I like America's education system and science syllabi actually, it makes more sense than ours. Too bad "they're" also bastards. ;)

-CHUDYMASTER-

Jellymonsta

Any system which includes Cheerleading as a course cant be too good :p
forget where that was though.
That being the extent of my knowledge, i am allowed to make such profound social comments :)
what pros have they got? ive come to the conclusion that any education system is going to have loopholes. and, of course, people griping. im good at griping actually

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Well...

For one thing, they study the topics in greater depth and they've structured their topics appropriately (as opposed to compiling ridiculous topics with ridiculous and numerous cut-outs, named ridiculous things such as "Electricity in the Home", "Space" and "Age of Silicon".

Although as they are a foolish bunch, few can handle their syllabus anyway. I'm sure they have gripes about it too, for the latter reason.

-CHUDYMASTER-

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Well...

Look mate, it had to be done sooner than later all right? Some one had to get the short straw, that's you. Someone also had to get the unusually long straw, that is I, CHUDYMASTER!!!

no contest - jacaranda!

excel is great if you wanna memorize the stuff but sucks really really bad if youre trying to learn the stuff.

with jacaranda, you dont really need your teacher too much, in some places jacaranda overkills but its so worth it cause it tells you where stuff comes from, doesnt just go "learn this"

and try to read the entire textbook over the year - like keep up with what youre doin in class in the textbook - its about 20 mins reading a week. if you do that, you'll be able to revise for the hsc in about 1 hour.

and make sure you bug your teacher to actually do all the prescribed pracs!

Excel isn't that good.
I found that in prelim, Physics in context (the fat door stopper) DID help me somewhat, but for hsc, definitely get your hands on Jacaranda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)