What's the point of moderation?? (1 Viewer)

safal.regmi

HSC
Okay the question sounds stupid but hear me out. Your overall HSC mark is composed of your raw aligned examination mark and the aligned mark with respect to your rank. So where does moderation for school assessment tasks come into play? I literally have not found a straight forward answer yet...

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
HSC Mark ==> 50% exam mark + 50% assessment mark

Exam mark ==> raw exam score subjected to alignment process. Senior markers set a band 6 cutoff mark, and then adjust your mark accordingly to that.

Assessment mark ==> moderated from your school assessment mark. The mean of your cohorts assessment mark is set to equal that of the mean of their exam marks. First place in cohort gets highest exam mark as assessment mark, last place gets lowest exam mark. From there, assessment marks are given based on the spread of the cohort (I think its assumed to be normally distributed).

safal.regmi

HSC
HSC Mark ==> 50% exam mark + 50% assessment mark

Exam mark ==> raw exam score subjected to alignment process. Senior markers set a band 6 cutoff mark, and then adjust your mark accordingly to that.

Assessment mark ==> moderated from your school assessment mark. The mean of your cohorts assessment mark is set to equal that of the mean of their exam marks. First place in cohort gets highest exam mark as assessment mark, last place gets lowest exam mark. From there, assessment marks are given based on the spread of the cohort (I think its assumed to be normally distributed).

yh I get that, but what's the point of setting the two means to be the same in the moderation process if first place gets best mark, last place gets worst mark and so on?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You may find this flowchart useful:

carrotsss

HSC
You may find this flowchart useful:
your flowchart is underrated, you should post it more often when people ask questions about scaling etc.

liamkk112

HSC
yh I get that, but what's the point of setting the two means to be the same in the moderation process if first place gets best mark, last place gets worst mark and so on?
hsc exam basically “standardises” all of the schools internals. eg one school might have had super hard internals but then everyone performs really well in hsc exam. setting the first place to best mark and last place to worst mark basically means that all of the schools internals difficulty can be accounted for based on how ppl performed externally (this was very unclear)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)