Whats so bad about Engineering studies? (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
I am considering doing Engineering studies for year 11 and I hear a lot of people end up dropping out and regret choosing it.

Is it really that difficult and content loaded? Does it scale horrible? Are people scared of the Maths and Physics in it?

Additionally I have already chosen Ext Maths and Physics for year 11, but if I consider doing Engineering in Uni is it best if I also take on Engineering studies for HSC?

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Engineering can be difficult based on a number of variables. First, you need to have a good teacher. This is one of those topics where the content and calculations can not be self taught and makes no sense whatsoever unless you have a good teacher to go through it with you (sort of like chem). Also, the calculations itself can be quite challenging as it requires forms of logical thinking in real-life scenarios, and some people do not have the mindset to do that. Furthermore, the content can get quite mind-numbing and overloaded (especially materials) and can be quite difficult to study for before exams.

However the merits are that the maths and physics is not impossible, in fact it's quite easy. Most of it requires rearranging formulas and dealing with vectors. As i said before, it's only the logical reasoning part that people struggle with. Doing MX1 and Physics definitely benefits you in this subject.

I don't exactly know how engineering scales but i know it's not one of the worst subjects out there. Although, UTS and other universities over bonus points for doing well getting band 6 in engineering studies (if your doing B.Eng) and some of the content that's covered in HS is also covered in first year engineering, so yes if you do plan on doing engineering in uni then it might be a good idea to do engineering studies in HS as it can give you a headstart.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)