Whats it like living in Armidale? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Thanks Tiny! Nice to know I'm friendless :(

It's not hard to make friends just because you don't drink - I don't drink and I have friends.... I think....

Tiny, are you my friend? :confused:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Haha...non-drinkers will make many friends. Probably.

Who is this?

nungulba

HSC
N/A
Armidale is really a country town aspiring to be the city that it is (officially). It has atmosphere (especially in Autumn - perhaps the best time to be there) & (dare I say it) 'soul'. If you read Judith Wright's poetry (esp. 'The Moving Image') you'll get an idea of how Armidale was in the 50s. All the roads are bitumen now and lead to shopping centres! Call that progress?

Enjoy it while you can!

Cheers, Gary.
(Grad. Dip. Humanities - final unit!)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
nungulba said:
If you read Judith Wright's poetry (esp. 'The Moving Image') you'll get an idea of how Armidale was in the 50s.
So ... this whole "Happy New 2009!" thing that went down a fortnight ago was just a lie?

HSC
Armidale is one of coldest places in Australia. Highest temperature ever recorded was 35 degrees about 5 years ago in January. Armidale averaging 20.3 degrees in year with 45days getting temperature below 10 degrees. Nights are always cold! Some nights get severe frosts that can damage your car!

I can't wait for seeing snow and hailstorms!!! :D

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
NorthRiversMatt said:
Some nights get severe frosts that can damage your car!
In my three years in the 'Dale, that has never happened. The closest we came was a hailstorm the year befor last, and that was in the middle of summer.

NorthRiversMatt said:
I can't wait for seeing snow and hailstorms!!! :D
Again, in three years, I've only seen it snow once; that was last year. There was a little bit in my first year, but it was closer to sleet. Don't go in expecting a winter wonderland, but do come prepared for a very biting wind in the winter months.

Heh. I remember about this time last year when we had someone asking if they should bring skis ...

HSC
Haha funny yea. Sleet are fine to me. I never been in snow before. Only sleet and hailstorms. Well severe hailstorms we normally have.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Okay, I just didn't want you to be living under the mistaken belief that the 'Dale is actually an untouched European-style skiing village during the winter months.

yellow7

XD
HSC
The 'Dale is actually an untouched European-style skiing village during the winter months?

SWEET, IMA BRING MAH SKI'S

spiffyjen05

HSC
I've actually been thinking about doing the 'interstate' thing and going to UNE next year.
...maybe. XD
Who needs the big city anyway?

nungulba

HSC
N/A
Well, in November 2006 they had some substantial snowfalls in outlying districts (e.g. Kentucky, Guyra) around Armidale (c.4000 ft, 1200+ metres elevation). If you've got a car and chains you can usually drive to the snow most years in New England.

So, don't forget the toboggan!:)

Le Loup

HSC
N/A
Im interested in going to UNE, but I dont really know much about the city at all, only that the last and only time I went there it was friggen FREEZING!

Can anyone give me a few good points?
Good point #1 we are here: http://eighteenthcenturylivinghistory.freeforums.org

Point #2 I am here: [url]http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/[/URL]

The New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760.

We are always looking for new members, and membership is FREE.

Seasonal traditional celebrations 18th century style. This one from the recent Winter Solstice.

18th century Historical Trekking, this image from winter camp. Also period living skills and primitive wilderness survival skills.

Last edited:

johnyinurfaces

HSC
I want know what's it like as well,im planing on moveing there in year's time and currently an apperntaince chef,im from Qld but before you go saing it be to cold for me,i will let you know that i use live in toowoomba and get's pretty cold in toowoomba and i herd it's like alot of southern cities, i wanted know if it is somethink like toowoomba like the european or american sort of looking tree's and stuff and nice old buildings and foggy moring ETC,see i was thinking about moveing back to toowoomba but from picture's that even seen i like the way armidale look's and do like toowoomba but i'd like live some place new,im currently liveing in hervey bay and hate the hot hummid summer's,even though ive lived so close to the boreder ive never been to nsw and like to know what there regional cities are like,so far i like,orange,armidale and like know more about them????

nungulba

HSC
N/A
G'day!

I've been living in Armidale for the last six years (stayed on after I finished my Grad. Dip. Hum. at the local 'college of knowledge'). It's rather remote here, although the locals do try their hardest to liven it up! Main problem is that it's too far from anywhere, and public transport is minimal.

However, I'm planning to move down to Tassie in October. Probably to Devonport, where the climate is milder compared with the Dale! In northern Tasmania the summers are sublime (almost Mediterranean) and the winters are a lot warmer at night. See ya down there? Sometime?

Bye!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)