Whats is the difference between these 2 laws (1 Viewer)

ishanik

HSC
• The law of segregation
• The law of independent assortment

Thanks

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello :)
Here is my explanation:
These two laws were established by Mendel's famous pea plant experiment.

Law of Segregation:
•Law of segregation states that factors(alleles) for the same characteristic occur in pairs in an individual. These pairs separate at gamete formation, so that a gamete contains only one of each factor(allele). I.e take tall versus short pea plants, say a heterozygous individual of Tt undergoes meiosis, one gamete may get a big T allele, while the other has the little T. (When reunited in fertilisation, it will have the two alleles for a trait)
Remember segregation=separation this is for alleles of the SAME trait
The Law of Independent Assortment:
•Either factor of a pair can combine with either factor of another pair.
•Let's extend our pea plant example with a dihybrid cross. Our Tt heterozyogus individual also possesses genes for colour, and he is heterozygous for this as well, he is Gg (green is dominant, gg is for yellow in homozygous form.
•So the key here is that each allele set can be mixed up, TG aren't always inherited together, not are tg etc. This means for our beloved pea plant, he can make four types of gamete. We can have TG, Tg, tG and tg. This allows greater genetic variation.
Remember Independent Assortment is best understood with dihybrid crosses, as it relates to a variation mechanism in genetics.

I hope this was somewhat helpful :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)