What Techniques Are Considered 'High-Order'? (1 Viewer)

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Howdy!

I take English Advanced, however, I have a teacher who pretty much helps… never, yet she expects that we know what she wants in our responses. One thing she always complains about is how we don’t use ‘high-order’ techniques but never specifies what ‘high-order’ refers to when asked.

So I wanted to put it to my fellow BoS users, what literary AND film techniques are considered ‘high-order’? I’m asking for both literary and film as I’ll need this knowledge for my Multimodal later this term.

Thanks everyone in advance!

indeed

HSC
LITERARY DEVICES
Meaning Techniques
  • Rhetorical Question
  • Anecdote
  • Juxtaposition
  • Symbolism
  • Motif
  • Personification
  • Zoomorphism
  • Oxymoron
  • Extended metaphor
  • Imagery
  • - Sensory (visual, tactile, olfactory, auditory, gustatory)
(can be anything - feline, zoomorphic, juxtaposed etc.)
  • Allusion
  • Religious (biblical) etc.
  • Foreshadowing
  • Pathetic Fallacy
  • Intertextuality
  • Synecdoche = a part represents a whole
  • Double Entendre
  • Sexual Innuendo
  • Dramatic irony
  • Interlocutor = someone who partakes in a conversation
  • Volta = a turn in events/tone
  • Abbreviation
  • First/second/third person

Rhythm Techniques
  • Repetition
  • Anaphora = repetition at start of lines
  • Asyndeton = lack of conjunctions
  • Tricolon = specifically three times (comma separating it)
  • Polysyndeton = many conjunctions
  • Enjambment
  • Caesura = mid-sentence pause
  • Assonance
  • Dissonance
  • Alliteration
  • Sibilance
  • Plosives
  • Tone (can be anything - self-deprecating)

Last edited:

indeed

HSC
LITERARY DEVICES
Meaning Techniques
  • Rhetorical Question
  • Anecdote
  • Juxtaposition
  • Symbolism
  • Motif
  • Personification
  • Zoomorphism
  • Oxymoron
  • Extended metaphor
  • Imagery
  • Sensory (visual, tactile, olfactory, auditory, gustatory)
  • Allusion
  • Foreshadowing
  • Pathetic Fallacy
  • Intertextuality
  • Double Entendre
  • Sexual Innuendo
  • Dramatic irony
  • Abbreviation

Rhythm Techniques
  • Repetition
  • Enjambment
  • Assonance
  • Dissonance
  • Alliteration
  • Sibilance
  • Plosives
Here's some I've accumulated over the past yr, but I recommend using this as a base knowledge, and any fancy words/techniques your teacher says (or you find when researching) you should accumulate

We've always been taught the importance of juxtaposition especially

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
LITERARY DEVICES
Meaning Techniques
  • Rhetorical Question
  • Anecdote
  • Juxtaposition
  • Symbolism
  • Motif
  • Personification
  • Zoomorphism
  • Oxymoron
  • Extended metaphor
  • Imagery
  • - Sensory (visual, tactile, olfactory, auditory, gustatory)
  • Allusion
  • Foreshadowing
  • Pathetic Fallacy
  • Intertextuality
  • Double Entendre
  • Sexual Innuendo
  • Dramatic irony
  • Abbreviation

Rhythm Techniques
  • Repetition
  • Enjambment
  • Assonance
  • Dissonance
  • Alliteration
  • Sibilance
  • Plosives
Thank you so much!!!

HSC
The list another user provided above is awesome! Definitely look into those techniques. But always remember! As someone doing four unit English...whats most important is explaining why an author may have chosen to use the technique they did. Why, as in, what effect it creates, both on the story and on you as a reader.

Act as if everything an author does has purpose. Authors manipulate language, basically.

That means It's better to write about a few simple techniques but really emphasise and examine their textual value in decent detail, rather than just throwing In a cacophony of literary devices and not providing much context as to why they would be present in the text in the first place.

I'd also recommend looking into different literary perspectives. I feel like they may help in terms of knowing what sorts of pathways you can take when it comes to analysing a text.

The perspective you do most often in classes are things like New Criticism and Biographical, if you want to look into some of those more!

Also, the website literarydevices.net is my lifesaver. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Hope this makes sense!

HSC
The list another user provided above is awesome! Definitely look into those techniques. But always remember! As someone doing four unit English...whats most important is explaining why an author may have chosen to use the technique they did. Why, as in, what effect it creates, both on the story and on you as a reader.

Act as if everything an author does has purpose. Authors manipulate language, basically.

That means It's better to write about a few simple techniques but really emphasise and examine their textual value in decent detail, rather than just throwing In a cacophony of literary devices and not providing much context as to why they would be present in the text in the first place.

I'd also recommend looking into different literary perspectives. I feel like they may help in terms of knowing what sorts of pathways you can take when it comes to analysing a text.

The perspective you do most often in classes are things like New Criticism and Biographical, if you want to look into some of those more!

Also, the website literarydevices.net is my lifesaver. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Hope this makes sense!
This might be a bit more of an obvious bit of advice though, so if Im just kinda regurgitating the curriculum I am very sorry LOL

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC

Hope this makes sense!
Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for the help and insight! And props to you for doing 4U, that’s crazy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)