What should I choose as my reserve subjects for Year 11? (1 Viewer)

Cute-Duckie

HSC
The current subjects I have selected are:
  • English Advanced
  • Ancient History (Accelerated)
  • Drama
  • English Extension 1
  • Music 2
  • Modern History
  • Studies of Religion (1 Unit)

But I need to put in two reserves for my subject selections. I am currently deciding between:
  • Biology
  • Business Studies
  • Food Technology
  • Legal Studies
  • Society and Culture
  • Visual Arts

Any suggestions or knowledge about the differences between these topics, and what would be best for me?

Thanks in advance :)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
woah mod hist with eng adv + ext + ancient is very content heavy within itself, do u wanna consider putting a reserve that not as content heavy? like u would eliminate bio, business and legal just from that.
soc + culture is rlly enjoyable, my friends are telling me abt how its basically free reigns and the assessments arent too daunting.

Cute-Duckie

HSC
Yeah I suppose it is pretty content heavy haha, I do like writing though. But those are very good points - thank you! I'll look into the Society and Culture course a bit more :)

cossine

HSC
  • English Advanced
  • Drama
  • English Extension 1
  • Music 2
  • Modern History

But I need to put in two reserves for my subject selections. I am currently deciding between:
  • Biology
  • Business Studies
  • Food Technology
  • Legal Studies
  • Society and Culture
  • Visual Arts

Any suggestions or knowledge about the differences between these topics, and what would be best for me?

Have you considered math or any science subjects?

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
  • English Advanced
  • Drama
  • English Extension 1
  • Music 2
  • Modern History

• Biology
  • Business Studies
  • Food Technology
  • Legal Studies
  • Society and Culture
  • Visual Arts

For year 11, visual arts doesnt have too much of a workload --> definitely does provide a good break from the more theory/content heavy subjects once in a while. I would assume something similar for food tech due to its prac element as well

Cute-Duckie

HSC
Have you considered math or any science subjects?
I would like to do Maths Standard 2, but because my school is selective the base level it offers is Maths Advanced. While I feel I could do it, the amount of time I would have to put in for the result I would get is just not worth it for me (similarly with Science).

Cute-Duckie

HSC
For year 11, visual arts doesnt have too much of a workload --> definitely does provide a good break from the more theory/content heavy subjects once in a while. I would assume something similar for food tech due to its prac element as well
Those are good ideas, thank you!

carrotsss

HSC
I would like to do Maths Standard 2, but because my school is selective the base level it offers is Maths Advanced. While I feel I could do it, the amount of time I would have to put in for the result I would get is just not worth it for me (similarly with Science).
Keep in mind that scaling is more or less balanced with difficulty, so that effectively more effort corresponds to a higher ATAR, irrespective of subjects. Harder subjects force you to put in more effort, hence leading to a higher ATAR - you can achieve the same thing in easier subjects, but you have to make a conscious effort to go above and beyond.

Cute-Duckie

HSC
Keep in mind that scaling is more or less balanced with difficulty, so that effectively more effort corresponds to a higher ATAR, irrespective of subjects. Harder subjects force you to put in more effort, hence leading to a higher ATAR - you can achieve the same thing in easier subjects, but you have to make a conscious effort to go above and beyond.
Yeah that's very true, but I am talking about 25 percent of my time here (I currently do 8 subjects in year 10). I just feel like if I'm getting A's and B's in English with around a 5th of the time I spend on maths (where I am getting C's) that overall it just isn't worth it. That is a good point about the scaling though - thank you!

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah that's very true, but I am talking about 25 percent of my time here (I currently do 8 subjects in year 10). I just feel like if I'm getting A's and B's in English with around a 5th of the time I spend on maths (where I am getting C's) that overall it just isn't worth it. That is a good point about the scaling though - thank you!
Yeah play to your strengths

cossine

HSC
I see. The point I am trying to get cross it might be worth getting outside your comfort zone. Perhaps the subjects you find hard are actually easy. I actually never felt comfortable with science, however once I found the right resources I realised it was not hard at all.

Cute-Duckie

HSC
I see. The point I am trying to get cross it might be worth getting outside your comfort zone. Perhaps the subjects you find hard are actually easy. I actually never felt comfortable with science, however once I found the right resources I realised it was not hard at all.
That's quite true - thank you! I think I'm going to put down my reserves as some social sciences subjects, as I feel they would be a challenge for me but at a sustainable level. Thanks for your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)