What is UQ like for computer related disciplines? (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What are the facilities like?
What OS do the computers run?
Do comp sci students get any special data usage quotas? 24 hour access to the labs?
What languages do you learn in 1st year (comp sci/seng)? What about 2nd?
What's the teaching standard like?
Do lecture notes get uploaded?
Do you have labs at least once a week?

Last edited:

Trev

stix
HSC
Facilities: Not sure, I don't use them much but there's alot of computers (Dell) and the Hawkin building has it's own library dedicated to engineering/science/computers.
Data usage: All UQ students get the basic 150MB of download quota per month, you can buy more in lots of either 350MB, 500MB or 1000MB (I forget prices, something like 4$, 7$ and 10$ respectively).
Access: I don't know that either.
Languages: First year is language using Dr. Scheme (for CSSE1001) i'm not sure for the other subjects, but I believe further years of CSSE use the same language and/or others.
Teaching standard / notes: In the CSSE lectures the lecturer goes through different coding problems and writes code for them, outside of class we are required to go through the online lecture slides / audio stuff, and yeah... Basically everything is uploaded so you're not required to go to any lectures (but it helps... so i'm going to them from now on). We also have online coding problems that are due as HW every week or two. You can have a look here http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~csse1001/.
Labs: You can go to practical classes whenever you want, you're not signed onto them for this subject you can just go to none or all of them. I just looked through my timetable and there are 21 timetabled practicals throughout the week (50 mins each, but most of them are one after the other so it would just go for the whole 60 mins). (Also have 2 CSSE1001 lectures a week, and no tutorials).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)