What is the difference between the two faculties? (1 Viewer)

chlorinator

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting for the university offers right now, and I have listed UNSW Combined Law as my first preference.

I'm interested in studying international business studies/law, but I noticed that under the Commerce/Law, I can choose to major in International Business. What is the difference between majoring in International Business under Commerce/Law vs studying International Business Studies under International Studies/Law. I know that if I choose International Studies/Law, then I can spend 2 semesters on the overseas program, which means that I will be studying for 6 years, instead of the 5 should I choose Int Studies under Commerce. Is it better to undertake the overseas program for a year, or should I study for 5 years instead, and go on an internship or a summer program? Also, is there a difference between streams and majors?

I'm sorry if my questions are convoluted, but I'm pretty confused atm.

Thanks in advance !!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of the major not much difference but to even get a major, you will need to do the introductory courses for that degree. For e.g. if you do an international business major under the Commerce degree you need to do courses like Accounting & Economics whereas if you do an international business major under International Studies degree you need to do courses like International Relations.

It really comes down to whether you prefer doing introductory Commerce courses or Art courses. The 2nd half of your study will be the same as you need to do the same courses to complete an international business major.

In terms of the extra year it really depends. Some employers find those that have spent a year overseas attractive. You can still do internships in a 6 year degree. The only difference is that you will graduate one year later. You generally don't do internships after you graduate so it all takes place when you study.

EDIT
Also the 2 semester overseas program is scheduled into your degree so you don't have to make arrangements for exchange e.g. rescheduling the order of which courses you complete whereas with Commerce you will have to pick up more law courses earlier to do an exchange for commerce.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)