What is the best college? (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I know this question has no answer. You've got free reign; answer it how you see fit.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Of course it has an answer. The answer is Cromwell. Cromwell College is the best.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
starbaaa said:
Of course it has an answer. The answer is Cromwell. Cromwell College is the best.
I meant no absolute answer; yours is a relative one. :)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I meant no absolute answer; yours is a relative one. :)
Ah, well you didn't specify that. Anyway, what if I said Cromwell is absolutely the best? :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Trev said:
Tell us what you're looking for in a college up here, maybe that would help what you would see as the 'best' college.
- No curfew
- Ability to sleep at 12pm most nights.
- A party atmosphere
- Pool table...

Above 200 people would be good. The smallest college here (mine) is 200 people. What's it like at UQ?

Trev

stix
HSC
No college has a curfew; depends where on each college your room is I suppose, my block is away from every other block so it's quiet most nights; should get that from all colleges, there are weekly things organised for colleges to get together at diff. pubs and stuff; King's has a pool table and so does Cromwell, I know that (I think Leo's does aswell).

There is the college network that all colleges are connected to except Union (they have their own one within the college).

Here's some info from the college 'wiki' (some of it might not be so helpful :p):

Cromwell College (~200)
Cromwho? it's a shame theres nothing to say about cromwho..?
IH residents occasionally use Crommie's laundry facilities in order to save themselves $1.40 a wash.

Duchesne College
Who would name a womens college DUCHESNE? Good initiative Douche! You gotta love how the duchesne girls refer to each other as "douchebags"

Emmanuel College (~350; largest college)
Emmanuel College is a co-ed residential college at the University of Queensland St Lucia campus. It is situated on Sir William McGregor Drive, approaching Upland Road. Emmanuel College is currently the largest of the UQ colleges with approximately 350 students. Students living at Emmanuel College study for a wide range of degrees and are encouraged to excel academically through the college's extensive tutorial program. As well as academia, students at Emmanuel particpate in a wide range of mens and womens sports and compete against the other UQ Colleges for the annual Inter-College Cup (ICC). The college also suffers a high rate of alcoholism, which, combined with the whingey disposition of its inhabitants, amounts simply to a lot of crying in one's pretzels.

Grace College (~140)
(ie. The Fridge on the Ridge)
Grace college, an all-girls college, has a reputation for sexual abstinence, mostly stemming from the fame of the college's "one foot on the floor" rule (male visitors may not get horizontal) and the fact that all male visitors must sign in, and be out before 12 midnight.
It is located on Walcott street, in proximity to Cromwell College and International House.

International House
Has the hottest women of all the colleges. Exotic babes abound.
International house is known as IH and the residents call themselves Housies. Its sporting colours are black and gold.
Around 50% of housies are actually Australian, and many of the 'international' residents are part-australian or from countries like new zealand and UK, contrary to the commonly-held myth that IH is full of people that can't speak english. In fact, there isn't a single member of IH that can't speak at least some English.
Some people don't think International House is a real college. However, the majority of these naysayers come from single-sex colleges, and as a result are missing out on a significant chunk of the college experience themselves. Too bad for them.

King's College (~260)
King's College is a single-sex (male) college on Upland Road. The college was established in 1913 at a city location and later moved with the University to its current location at the St Lucia campus.

St. Johns College (ie. Jabbas) (~250-300)
St John's College is a co-ed residential college at the University of Queensland St Lucia campus. It is situated on College Road, approaching Sir William McGregor Drive.

St Leo's College (~180?)
The biggest piss-wrecked college on campus.
Also known as the Hardest Men in college. Worship the phantom and FG rake. Respect your sergeant! Love the bitters, don't dog the boys and do not covet thy neighbour. Known for only having passion for rugby and xxxx bitter.

Union College
It has traditionally been known as one of the most liberal colleges. It was created by academics to be a truly modern environment free of traditional notions of what a college should be. From the start it has been against the initiation rites and age heirarchy common to other colleges. However, its name has also been associated with high levels of drug use and alcohol. The administration has gone to great pains to erase this image, and has been fairly successful. If you're looking for a "college experience", don't go to Union. But if you're looking for relatively cheap accomodation and want to be left alone, Union is great.

The Women's College
The one thing I can say about Women's is that they have the best food on campus. $6 will get you a restaraunt-standard all-you-can eat meal that will invariably feature something posh that the rest of us miss out on (prawns, cheese platters, etc...) Technically you'll need to know somebody in the college to dine there, but I'm sure there are various ways around that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)