What is more important, rank or marks?? (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
yes because if your marks are that close, the distribution of marks will not matter if all of you do equally well in the hsc exam.

nerd_it_up

HSC
Stupid ext 2

Im really depressed with the stupid ranking thing.....i do ext 2 eng n no matter what i do...my teacher has never ranked me higher than LAST....n hasn't given me nething over 70%...nothing...the thing is..other teachers who hav read my work tell me its worth more than 70%....whats the deal!!! i'll tell u the deal...cuz this teachers 2 favourite students r in the class...n she couldnt bear to have them ne lower than 1st, 2nd and 3rd...n to tell u the truth....their ext 2 major works r shit......is it possible for me to 'rise above the rank' with my major work n somehow do better than 70% and last????? please help me!! im so sad :(

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i say ranks
coz if u think u got a bad mark but the ranks are poor overall
then u may not have done so badly
ill use maths for an example
say u get 48% which is considered a fail however everyone gets round that, then ur rank counts, not mark

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
nerd_it_up said:
Im really depressed with the stupid ranking thing.....i do ext 2 eng n no matter what i do...my teacher has never ranked me higher than LAST....n hasn't given me nething over 70%...nothing...the thing is..other teachers who hav read my work tell me its worth more than 70%....whats the deal!!! i'll tell u the deal...cuz this teachers 2 favourite students r in the class...n she couldnt bear to have them ne lower than 1st, 2nd and 3rd...n to tell u the truth....their ext 2 major works r shit......is it possible for me to 'rise above the rank' with my major work n somehow do better than 70% and last????? please help me!! im so sad :(
Maybe you should try co-her-ant sen-ten-ces, not netspeak.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Rankings themselves (i.e. the physical numbers) are not at all important...you could rank dead last in a class of extremely bright students who end up flooding the top 10 in the state at the end of the year...you may be last, but you could come 9th in the state.

Rather, it's the gap between you and the student ranked above you that is important...ultimately, you should ensure that the gap between you and the person one rank ahead of you is as small as possible. That's really all that matters.

Pace_T

HSC
anti-mathmite said:
So what about the guy at my old school, who was the only guy in the SDD class? He's ranked no. 1 no matter what?

His final HSC mark will be also his school assessment mark. So his final course mark will be solely based on his final performance.

Sorry, I just had to add that in there :p
that's enough from me, it's so late *dies*

HSC
Awesome, this thread took off :p
But yeah, the gap is important between ranks. In one subject I'm comin second by like a couple marks overall, then thers a gap of about eight marks to third. Therefore, while being first would be better (but only slightly) second will do to get a decent overall hsc mark as the gap is tiny between me and first.
At least thats the idea im getin from all the posts.
Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)