What happens if you get one bad mark? (1 Viewer)

For an assignment i recieved a mark of 14/20, and this weighted 15 %. What will be the consequences of this? Is it even possible to get above 90 anymore?

alien

HSC
yep cos they weight your mark, i got 84 (school mark) for maths but most of my school assessments were 80 or less. they scale stuff up or something. plus for the actual hsc they combine your school mark and hsc mark anyway

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
u can still do heaps well, cos it actually doesnt matter wat mark u get, just ur overall position, cos in the HSC lets say in ur skool u came 1st in maths overall. even if u do crap in the exam... u still get the higest persons exam mark as ur assesment

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
codereder said:
For an assignment i recieved a mark of 14/20, and this weighted 15 %. What will be the consequences of this? Is it even possible to get above 90 anymore?
Where were you ranked amongst your classmates?

As beccaxx said, that is ultimately the deciding factor. Marks are simply a tool used by schools to determine rankings. They have no direct bearing on your final HSC mark, however your ranking does have a significant impact.

Additionally, 15% isn't a large proportion. Trial exams often have weightings of ~30-40%. That's where you want to do really well.

Plebeian

I got marks of around 60% for more than half of my Ext. 2 maths assessments, and still ended up with an aligned mark of 93, which scales to 94.8, and is the top 10% of Maths Ext. 2 candidates. Admittedly, this is a hard subject with low raw marks compared to the final scaled marks, but the point remains that raw marks don't really directly affect your final result. As ~Rench~ said, what's more important is how that mark compared to other people's in the class.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
what about 48% for 2 unit maths
am i going to fail it and will that fuck up the rest of my UAI
im onli doin 11 units...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
im onli doin 11 units...
I'd say you'd have to work at it a bit more.
ext 2 scales a lot better than 2 u, mostly because it's so much harder.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
codereder said:
it was around 6th in the class
6th is a good rank. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. However, what was the highest mark?

Remember, you have 85% worth of assessments in which to catch up. There's still ample opportunity to overtake the five students ahead of you :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
im onli doin 11 units...
As cherryblossom said, you'll have to work harder. However, the exam you did may have been difficult. Again, it's not the raw mark that matters but your ranking. That said, in scoring 48% there's still a further 52% that you can get.

And this one goes for everyone: try not to consider scaling when doing your assessments. Doing Ext 2 maths doesn't mean you can fail and expect to get 95 because of the scaling. Just try your best and you'll get a mark that you're satisfied and happy with...no matter what :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
wrx said:
Stop BoSing/wasting time and start working hard. Thats the only way to do well.
Very true.
But I guess it's good to BoS sometimes. Perosnally I've learnt a lot over the couple of months I've been a member of BoS :)

Plus, you need a break every now and again - whether it's BoSing or playing soccer, you need it.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Its true. But i find the majority of posts on this topic can be solved by just working harder. There is no way around it. I agree BoS is useful, however the solution to these threads are obvious? Just improve next time maybe? Anyway sorry if i sound harsh but i reckon just put ur head down and work otherwise ull be saying the same thing in a couple of months with the only difference being, you have ur hsc left.

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
hey wot if u do really crap in one of ur assessments n come likelast but then in the nex u improve and start 2 come in the top 3 ...? do u still suffer coz of 1 assessment also my teacher told me its better 2 do shit in ur 1st assess and improve then vise versa coz ul get scaled up where as vise versa it will drag ur marks down..

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Yaz88 said:
hey wot if u do really crap in one of ur assessments n come likelast but then in the nex u improve and start 2 come in the top 3 ...? do u still suffer coz of 1 assessment also my teacher told me its better 2 do shit in ur 1st assess and improve then vise versa coz ul get scaled up where as vise versa it will drag ur marks down..
I wouldn't listen to your teacher in that regard.
There's no difference between doing an assessment earlier or later in the year. However, on the contrary, trial exams tend to have higher weightings (often 30-40%) so in that respect it is worth more.
Of course, the higher the assessment's weighting, the more of an impact it will have on your final mark.

And it doesn't matter what order you failed or aced your assessments. It's only your final ranking that affects your HSC mark in the end. So if you failed your first assessment and then ended up 3rd after the trials, then you're in a good position.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
codereder said:
I failed two of my physics tests and came close to failing another but still managed to pull an 85 overall.

tennille

HSC
codereder said:
My first maths assessment was weighted at 15%. I got 73%. But I still managed to get an HSC mark of 90. As long as you go well in the next few assessments, you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)