What are the colours of the balmer series (1 Viewer)

old.skool.kid

HSC
So what are the four colours of the balmer series?

Is it violet,violet,blue/green,red or violet,blue,green,red?

Did your teacher tell you guys to bring coloured pencils into the exam?

samwell

HSC
Hey does the syllabus require u to remember the colours of the balmer series? dont you only have to remember the type em spectrum emited?

samwell

HSC
I think thats getting too specific and beyond the hsc requirements. its good to know for fun but they are not gonna sincerely assess something off the syllabus.

old.skool.kid

HSC
Yer im pretty sure you have to remember this, my teacher said we have to and we should bring colourd pencils into the exam. If we were asked a question on the dot point "Perform a first hand investigation to observe the visible components of the hydrogen spectrum". You would need draw what you could see through the spectroscope, i.e the Balmer series. My teacher als said you can get asked questions like this: Calculate the energy of a photon that is green/blue from the hydrogen spectrum.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Hey I think its a bit specific for the hsc...I mean, learn in by all means, but I'm pretty sure it won't be in the HSC exam.

Nicend

HSC
I though that the Balmer series was the spectrum of visible light part of the EM Spectrum and, as such, there is an infinite array of colours present?

But, I'm reasonably sure that the HSC exam won't have a question asking us to play with coloured pencils.

To answer a question like:
"Perform a first hand investigation to observe the visible components of the hydrogen spectrum"
you would say what parts of the hydrogen spectrum are visible, I believe. Actually I'm not sure.

Hang on, this is a "Perform a first hand investigation" dot point. You'll most likely be asked is either what you observed (in words), or what you did, or what the point of the exercise was, or all three.

If you are really stuck, ring the HSC hotline (if it exists this year) or ring a random nerd in your school (or aquire your teacher's phone number so you can contact them at any time ...like say 3am)

samwell

HSC
old.skool.kid said:
Yer im pretty sure you have to remember this, my teacher said we have to and we should bring colourd pencils into the exam. If we were asked a question on the dot point "Perform a first hand investigation to observe the visible components of the hydrogen spectrum". You would need draw what you could see through the spectroscope, i.e the Balmer series. My teacher als said you can get asked questions like this: Calculate the energy of a photon that is green/blue from the hydrogen spectrum.
True we did the hydrogen spectrum prac after i posted my comment. Its just the visible colours of the hydrogen spectrum. lol Thanks

The MJB

HSC
You don't need to know the colours of the balmer series. You can work them out in the exam using the Balmer-Rydberg formula.

Mc Fadge

HSC
I though that the Balmer series was the spectrum of visible light part of the EM Spectrum and, as such, there is an infinite array of colours present?
It's not that it emits the visible spectrum, it emits waves that are within the visible spectrum. That's why Balmer found them as opposed to radio or ultraviolet waves that were "released" as they're a teensy bit hard to see :p

You don't need to know the colours of the balmer series. You can work them out in the exam using the Balmer-Rydberg formula.
Oh sure, but then you have to remember what wavelengths correspond to which colour :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)