weird dot point (1 Viewer)

cko

HSC
identify examples of the use of transgenic species and use available evidence to debate the ethical issues arising from the development and use of transgenic species

umm... i no the ethical issues for stuff like cloning but not sure about the other stuff...

suggestions???

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
heaps like:

narrowing down the gene pool, hence making it more vulnerable to extinction at the time of changin environ

genes may spread to other species (referin to crops... the i fink the anti fungal gene given to crops are passed on to wild grass or soemthing...)

engineered crop:
sterile
maturity / growth depend on chemical used
potential to containmniate the ecosystem

cko

HSC
that IS the dot point. it's the very last one on the "Blueprints of life" module. and i sorta don't get wot xiao wrote... are they the ethical issues you're mentioning?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hm.... potential to contaminate other vegetation / animal is defnitely a moral concern.... the rest may be classified as potential side effects.... i will try to dig out more on it...

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
lol, i still dnt get it.. is there any more info pple have on this d/p?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
sorry queenie... when i was writing my notes on this dot point, i didnt' be more specific... my notes on syllabus was a lot brief... =(

also, i think fear of genetic engineering may result in outbreak of retrovirus/ epidermic diseases may be an other ethical concern

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
hello xiao, thought i'd finally return to the bio forums and say hello! :) :D

but so i'm not wasting space, i'll try adding a little more to the thread's question:

in discussing the ethical questions, you have to consider the effect on ecology as well as effects on society - to the individual, economy, and it's implications for the future
e.g.
- genetic engineering to supply increasing food crops needed to sustain our growing population
- reduction of crop waste- genetic engineering as more environmentally friendly method - does it outweigh the risks?
- human beings playing the Promethean role? (ie. trying to be God) - is it justifiable?
- new species may be a better replacement altogether
-extinction of bananas

the question basically tests your ability to BS :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)