• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Waste production by mammals and insects (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dot point: Use available evidence to explain the relationship between the conservation of water and the production and excretion of concentrated nitrogenous wastes in a range of Australian insects and terrestrial mammals

When I try to talk about this dot point, should I talk about:
Ammonia, Urea, Uric acid production by BOTH mammal or insect?

Because I am not sure if insect or mammal produce ammonia...

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Dot point: Use available evidence to explain the relationship between the conservation of water and the production and excretion of concentrated nitrogenous wastes in a range of Australian insects and terrestrial mammals

When I try to talk about this dot point, should I talk about:
Ammonia, Urea, Uric acid production by BOTH mammal or insect?

Because I am not sure if insect or mammal produce ammonia...

(3-e) Use available evidence to explain the relationship between the conservation of water and the production of concentrated Nitrogenous wastes in a range of Australian insects and terrestrial Mammals

Insects Terrestrial mammals
Fluid Haemolymph Blood
Excretory organ Malpighiant tubules Kidney
Main Nitrogenous Waste Uric acid urea
Energy costs high medium (more than fish less than insects)
water required Little some less than fish

On all the dot point related to nitrogenous waste others including fresh and salt water fish you always have to relate the intake of water to what nitrogenous waste is form, This is because the amount of water which can be taken in directly affects what nitrogenous waste is products fish produce ammonium as they have plenty of water to remove it, uric acid (also the main nitrogenous waste of birds) requires the least water of the three, therefore allowing insects to retain water etc you would elaborate on this/reword it to make it sound better

normally comes up as a compare question, in which case its best to use a table. This is all the information youll require for this dot point, any example of an insect and a mammal would be useful

Ammonia is fish only, the other two might produce some ammonia but its not their main nitrogenous waste, and the whole point of these dot points is to relate the nitrogenous waste to the amount of water taken in be the animal and how this helps "maintain a balance"

EDIT: Gah the table is copying gayly, ill just have to type it out

Last edited:

sinophile

HSC
N/A
It said a range of mammals and insects, so suppose you need to talk about several mammals and insects.

No mammals excrete nitrogenous waste in form of ammonia, which is probably part of the point of this dot point.

Some insects excrete in form of ammonia. Snail (not really an insect) excrete uric acid.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
No mammals excrete nitrogenous waste in form of ammonia, which is probably part of the point of this dot point.
Well, to be more correct, the ammonia that is produced in mammals is converted into urea and then excreted. It's still technically ammonia, but in another form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)