volume of the solid of revolution around y axis (1 Viewer)

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
Can someone please summarise the steps for finding the volume of the solid of revolution around the y axis? The maths isn't a problem at all, and I'm fine with finding the inverse but what values do I integrate between? Which line do I subtract from the other? etc. etc. It's confusing me for no reason lmao

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
For the newcastle grammar 2020 trial I lost marks on this question

1693544263317.png

carrotsss

HSC
You integrate between the min/max y values of the area. You subtract the lower one, as in the one closer to the y axis

hold up I did that question recently in another paper I’ll send my solution

howcanibesmarter

HSC
speaking of which, can question ask u rotations about a vertical/horizonta line? Like x=5? Cus ive seen some questions like that

yanujw

HSC
my teacher said its not part of syllabus, yet a similar question came up in a practice exam, i'm getting mixed answers but thanks theres no harm in learning a little extra
Looks like you're going to get more mixed answers in this thread. It can't be asked in the new syllabus, it was a part of the old Extension 2 syllabus. That being said, if you understand the visualisation of rotations well enough, it shouldn't be that hard to theoretically imagine how they can be calculated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)