USYD or UNSW law better? (1 Viewer)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
okies say if i get 90+ but not enough for commerce...what should i do??? just do lyk a arts degree at unsw and transfer ? or should i repeat? given that my uai prediciotn was 99+ when i did work and 90-95 when i did no work...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Asq: HELL YEAH! It's like the aspirations of an entire liftime condensed into an 8 year degree. What more could I want! :D

Timmii: Er...no. Not with my UAI. I didn't even get a UNSW interview. :(

Minai: Good luck!

TIB: Just work you silly girl, you know you're getting in so don't worry about it!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
TIB: Err, ur not gonna get lower than the cutoff for commerce..!
But even if u did, yes do arts for a year, choose easy subjects and D or HD them all to get as close to a GPA of 6 as u can, and transfer, believe me, its easier getting Distinction average in first year than it is trying to get 99+ UAI

Lex: thanks

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
how hard is that? is that lyk top 5%? cuz lyk if i cant get top 5 % now how can i in uni?
It's pretty easy if u study - exams, especially first yr commerce exams are very straightforward - its like doing textbook examples.
look I only got 95 UAI and I still managed 3 HD's last semester

Lex: u recieve a Distinction if u get 75% as your final mark, HD if u get 85%

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
so how much u need for a transfer to la? an avg of HD or D? and does the requirement vari for courses...sya if i do an arts degree wotz the reuirement?
It depends on your UAI
if the cutoff was 99.3 and u got 99.25, then u'd need prolly a bit better than a credit average
but if ur UAI was like 93, then u'd need a high distinction average to have any chance

and it dosent matter wat degree u do - as long as u get the grades

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Lex: u recieve a Distinction if u get 75% as your final mark, HD if u get 85%
See? Even better! But apparently it becomes much harder to hold the average in second year, is that true?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yes thats true
coz in 2nd year, u start learning advanced stuff, like probably not covered in highschool, so u dont get rewarded for bludginess

dreaming...

Minai, how do you know now if you cant manage a distinction average if you havent even started a course

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Please check people's profiles before asking questions like that, with the better members they are likely to have answers in there.

Oh yeah, Minai is also Super Mod. Suuuper Mod! :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think she was talking about how she could know now or not whether she could manage a d average in her course???

basically you get assessed a lot through the way - you can choose how much you want to work and as you see what kind of marks you're getting you know whether to work harder or not. Since most ppl are bludging to just pass, the slightest bit of effort often goes well rewarded :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oops! My mistake, sorry!

I guess the only real indicator for us is asking what our teachers think. They've been through uni (many are in there now doing postgrad) and have also seen the way we individually work. Other than that...

jelly

hey there...

D average aint very hard for Commerce at UNSW. HD is harder... But for law, you'd be hitting the roof to get a D average...if u have a D average with law, the large law firms will be practically courting you in your later years and when you're applying for summer clerkships. So...commerce D average, not hard at all. Law D average = gotta work pretty hard to get it. HD average in law? heh..might as well make you CJ of the High Court..

and with the ppl wanting to do MBBS/LLB. don't be silly. Med is already hard. Law is hard. Both take heaps long to finish - do you really wanna stay in uni for 8yrs finishing your degree?? If you want the 'Dr' title, go do postgrad stuff later on in life. If you want the prestige of being both a lawyer and a doctor - not worth it. You can't be both. THink about it again - 8 yrs of uni doing med and law? COnsidering you'll be at uni 5 days a week (cos of med), you wont be able to get a p/t job, have too much of a social life, you'll have friends who will have been working for 5 yrs already by the time u graduate, and u still have to choose between being a doctor or a lawyer. Not to mention how much HECs you'll have to repay? something like 30 grand for law alone?

yeh...look at it practically, don't have ambitions that will make you regret your decisions later.

plus...heheh, the law students wannabes out there? Ever found out why lawyers are paid so much? Graduates work from 8am to any time from 8pm to 10:30pm at night. That's why. They have enormous caseloads, they often stay back heaps just to impress the partners of the law firm, they need to accumulate hours on the timesheet (because the more hrs you work, the more the firm can charge your client), and you don't get overtime. That's something I'm beginning to worry about myself - do I want to work in a culture like that?? The only way out for me seems to be community legal centres or public sector jobs with the AG's Dept, ASIC etc which have cushy 9-5 hours. Well just some food-for-thought so that you law-hopefuls know about this now than later..

ok. hope your hsc exams went well, gluck with your preferences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)