USYD Med science vs Bachelor of science (1 Viewer)

Fiest

HSC
Hi, I am in the process of enrolling for USYD courses, and there's just one thing I don't understand.

At the moment, I have enrolled into the Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) course, and have majored in Anatomy and Histology and Applied Medical Science, but as I've been looking at other university courses, I also saw that USYD offers a Bachelor of science (Medical Science). I was just wondering what would actually be different between these two courses, besides the fact that in the former, I would also be majoring in another subject.

Thanks,

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are a number of differences between the Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) and the Bachelor of Science (Medical Science) that extend beyond the higher ATAR requirement for the former compared to the latter. The former is a 4-year degree while the latter is a 3-year degree. The difference in degree length comes from the Bachelor of Advanced Studies component. The Bachelor of Advanced Studies is an additional year that students can complete after their 3-year degree (in this case, the Bachelor of Science), during which they can either complete advanced coursework or an Honours year. Completing Honours can subsequently allow for postgraduate study, such as through a PhD or other research degree.

Another difference is the Dalyell Scholar element. Also known as the Dalyell Stream, it is intended to reward high-achieving students who have received an ATAR (or equivalent) of 98+. It does this through a combination of the following:
  • Opportunities for high-achieving students to complete exclusive units alongside other high-achieving students
  • Mentoring/professional development opportunities
  • A scholarship that is available only to Dalyell scholars.
Essentially, it can be suggested that you would be better equipped with the relevant knowledge and skills as a Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) graduate, considering the additional benefits that this program provides compared to the Bachelor of Science (Medical Science). Of course, this does not necessarily mean that positive outcomes cannot also be achieved with the latter degree.

I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
There are a number of differences between the Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) and the Bachelor of Science (Medical Science) that extend beyond the higher ATAR requirement for the former compared to the latter. The former is a 4-year degree while the latter is a 3-year degree. The difference in degree length comes from the Bachelor of Advanced Studies component. The Bachelor of Advanced Studies is an additional year that students can complete after their 3-year degree (in this case, the Bachelor of Science), during which they can either complete advanced coursework or an Honours year. Completing Honours can subsequently allow for postgraduate study, such as through a PhD or other research degree.

Another difference is the Dalyell Scholar element. Also known as the Dalyell Stream, it is intended to reward high-achieving students who have received an ATAR (or equivalent) of 98+. It does this through a combination of the following:
  • Opportunities for high-achieving students to complete exclusive units alongside other high-achieving students
  • Mentoring/professional development opportunities
  • A scholarship that is available only to Dalyell scholars.
Essentially, it can be suggested that you would be better equipped with the relevant knowledge and skills as a Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) graduate, considering the additional benefits that this program provides compared to the Bachelor of Science (Medical Science). Of course, this does not necessarily mean that positive outcomes cannot also be achieved with the latter degree.

I hope this helps! :D
I’m pretty sure you would be able to enter the Dalyell stream in Medical Science as well, during enrolment it seems to just be offered to anyone with 98+ automatically

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I’m pretty sure you would be able to enter the Dalyell stream in Medical Science as well, during enrolment it seems to just be offered to anyone with 98+ automatically
That is correct, and a list of eligible degrees can be found here:

The Bachelor of Science (Medical Science) is one of the eligible degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)