Urgent Help!!!-cloud Chamber (1 Viewer)

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
Im having so much trouble with this dot point, we never did this experiment and im not sure what the dot point requires from you.

Students 3.1
perform a first-hand investigation or gather secondary information to observe radiation emitted from a nucleus using Wilson Cloud Chamber or similar detection device.

plus this was a question from 2007 hsc

In your study of Quanta to Quarks you have performed an investigation to observe radiation emitted froma nucleus using a Wilson Cloud Chamber or a similar detection device. Describe how you carried out your investigation.

What do they want from you in these types of things, do they want you to write it out like an experiment or are they more focussing on the results i.e. what type of tracks were made.

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
have you done this experiment? if so, could you please list the steps you did etc.

walkahz

HSC
Our experiment didnt work:rofl: teacher said in all his years teaching he has never seen it work in a classroom. Just Youtube it.

Graceofgod

HSC
Yeah it worked for us. No idea how it was set up.

Umm, a petri dish I think with steam in it? I dunno we weren't allowed to go near it and the teacher set it up beforehand.

Just had it set up with a camera on it and the zoomed image on a projector.

I suggest you JFGI.

HSC
It's a box, with packed foam on bottom, dry ice on top of that, black metal plate on top of that. Alcohol vapour in a space above that which also contains a radiation source, covered by perspex. You look through the perspex and see the trails.

It worked for us in class, using that method.

danielmarr0

HSC
Dont know the steps but I was actually doing work on Cloud Chambers today...

The emitted alpha or beta particle as it moves through a material have a charge. The emitted particle from the source such that it ionises material around it. Inside the cloud chamber is your Methanol or alchol solution which is cooled by dry ice or liquid nitrogen. As the ionising particle stream passes along the methanol, the particles condense together. Methanol has some special property where is it charged positive and negative [or some crap like that], allowing it to condense. Hence leaving tracks of clouds.

Hope it helps =/
EDIT: This is also off the top of my head so correct me/additions are much appreciated. =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)