URGENT: Chemistry assessment help (1 Viewer)

HSC
There are 5 bottles (A,B,C,D and E) whose contents are unkown except that each one of the following compounds dissolved in water:
Sodium chloride, Sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate, sodium nitrate, sodium sulfate.

You are given:
silver nitrate, barium nitrate, nitric acid, ammonia solution,universal indicator.

your task is to identify A, B, C, D and E. Write the method you followed in achieving your identification.

help/hints/tips/answers pls?
also...how would you write the method??

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Use the Anion/cation tests.
Test NaCl with Silver nitrate. A ppt should form and then this ppt will dissolve in ammonia, and I think it dissolves in sunlight.

Sodium Carbonate, add the nitric acid and it should fizz, and prove by turning limewater milky (CO2 gas produced)

Sodium phosphate, Add the silver nitrate and you get a pale yellow ppt. Also, if you add some NH3 followed by some barium nitrate and white ppt should form

Sodium sulfate, add barium nitrate and there should be a white ppt.

I don't know about the sodium Nitrate off the top of my head though, sorry. And they're under slightly acidic conditions to the best of my recollection, so you may need a little bit of Nitric acid before hand. Thats what the Conq. Chem text book said anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)