Urgent - Can you write cis in the hsc (1 Viewer)

smiley_riley

HSC
Even if it's not "technically allowed", as long as it shows your working out to find the answer there should never be an issue. You could use a :) for your variables as long as it gets the right answer.

If you're really worried you could always write let z = cos(x) + isin(x) = cis(x)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Tbh, I don’t see the point of using the short-hand ‘cis’ when the exponential form is just as convenient (and technically shorter)

Sam14113

HSC
Tbh, I don’t see the point of using the short-hand ‘cis’ when the exponential form is just as convenient (and technically shorter)
Agreed, unless it says to 'express your answer in modulus-argument form' or something

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
bruh i use cis every single time...
will i be fine?

carrotsss

HSC
I tend to use exponential hut the only problem with it is it’s so small that I sometimes just lose numbers because of handwriting which isn’t really ideal

Luukas.2

HSC
Should be -- there's not gonna be any marker who doesn't know what cis means.

Just make sure it doesn't look too similar to cos (I tend to do that occasionally)
There are some markers who passionately hate cis... though that's more likely to be an issue in trials than in the HSC, where the markers will be required to conform to the same standards.

Making "cis" and "cos" clearly different is important, though.

I tend to use exponential hut the only problem with it is it’s so small that I sometimes just lose numbers because of handwriting which isn’t really ideal
This can be dealt with by writing rather than

carrotsss

HSC
There are some markers who passionately hate cis... though that's more likely to be an issue in trials than in the HSC, where the markers will be required to conform to the same standards.

never knew that was a thing, cheers

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

That’s probably because ‘cis’ is not a standard or commonly used notation in mathematics. It is rarely seen outside the HSC. Everyone else just uses the exponential form (note that “exp( )” is standard notation) or the full mod-arg form. I don’t think I’ve ever seen ‘cis’ used in uni maths.

Luukas.2

HSC
That’s probably because ‘cis’ is not a standard or commonly used notation in mathematics. It is rarely seen outside the HSC. Everyone else just uses the exponential form (note that “exp( )” is standard notation) or the full mod-arg form. I don’t think I’ve ever seen ‘cis’ used in uni maths.
Yes, I don't use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)