UNSW Vs HKU (LAW) (1 Viewer)

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Anyone from HK here?
well..if so..
what do you guys think is better...UNSW or HKU??

kini mini

HSC
I haven't heard anything about HKU law. I did see the uni from the bus when I was on holiday there but that's about as close as I've gotten :p

How well is HKU rated generally by FEER or whichever Asian mag it is that does the rankings?

kini mini

HSC

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Those asiaweek guides are bs anyway, I wouldn't take any notice of them or go to a university simply based on those rankings (same goes for the good guides).

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
ummm, if you actually want to go anywhere with your law degree you might like to do an Australian one!!!!

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
ummm, if you actually want to go anywhere with your law degree you might like to do an Australian one!!!!
What do you mean go anywhere? Doing an Australian one gets your foot in the door with all the legal systems inspired by the English one, nothing else. I don't think it'd get you too far in France for example.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
well if you're planning to practice law in NSW Ive heard the law society and Bar association like it if you have studied Australian Law not some irrelevant Asian one. All well and good if you want to practice law in Asia though.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
well if you're planning to practice law in NSW Ive heard the law society and Bar association like it if you have studied Australian Law not some irrelevant Asian one. All well and good if you want to practice law in Asia though.
I see what you mean, I agree that a NSW law degree would be preferred in NSW legal circles but I don't know that an Asian one would necessarily be irrelevant. The Singaporean legal system for instance is so close to ours the recent free trade agreement has reciprocal practising rights - both systems are based on English common law. Of course, there will always be distinct local laws but in that case they systems would be braodly similar. As a former UK colony I think HK law may also be similar enough to allow easy transfer of skills - FWIW I know people with Aussie qualifications who went straight to work in HK. Presumably you can go both ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)