unsw psych hons? (1 Viewer)

HSC
really interested in psychology maybe thinking of taking up clinical psychology which I know is a long path, degree, honours, 2 yrs masters, accreditation but I think itll be worth it in the end given the passion runs through. is there any one currently studying psychology at unsw? how hard are the stats courses like? and r they flexible with the intake for psych Hons students? I saw the min atar was 98 which is hard but I can definitely strive to achieve for it.

quickoats

HSC
You are in year 11 so the advice I'll give to you is to do your best. However, don't fixate on one particular university. Consider ALL your options.
You'd rather go into a Psych(Hons) program at a less 'prestigious' university rather than doing a Psychological Science program at a 'prestigious' institution.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You should consider what quickoats mentioned as it is very important. Don't restrict yourself to only one university. Of course, doing your best in your HSC is a priority and will hopefully allow you to achieve your goal in terms of your degree and the university where you want to study your chosen degree.

UNSW is a great university, no doubt. However, being prepared in terms of having multiple options is also very important, and the ATAR requirement for UNSW's Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) should urge you to consider additional options just to be safe. A direct alternative (i.e. 2nd option) to UNSW's Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) would be WSU's Bachelor of Psychology (Honours), which requires a 90 ATAR.

HSC
You should consider what quickoats mentioned as it is very important. Don't restrict yourself to only one university. Of course, doing your best in your HSC is a priority and will hopefully allow you to achieve your goal in terms of your degree and the university where you want to study your chosen degree.

UNSW is a great university, no doubt. However, being prepared in terms of having multiple options is also very important, and the ATAR requirement for UNSW's Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) should urge you to consider additional options just to be safe. A direct alternative (i.e. 2nd option) to UNSW's Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) would be WSU's Bachelor of Psychology (Honours), which requires a 90 ATAR.
Thank you! UWS is a little far but I think the psych honours degree at Macquarie is reasonable at an atar of 94?

specificagent1

HSC
Thank you! UWS is a little far but I think the psych honours degree at Macquarie is reasonable at an atar of 94?
You can try to get into UWS Psych hon via HSC true rewards with year 11 marks. The requirements this year is any 2 subjects above B Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 5.07.52 pm.png

Also, for UNSW if you are a gateway school or qualify for SEIFA (eligibility conditions may change next year) you can apply for an early conditional offer which adjusts the atar requirement by up to 15. This year Psych hon is reduced to 90 atar (may change next year)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
No worries, if WSU is far from you then MQ's Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) seems like a good alternative with a somewhat lower ATAR requirement. Would be a good second option in addition to UNSW. :)

specificagent1

HSC
Thanks! Unfortunately mine isn't a gateway school but how will I be able determine whether im eligible for SEIFA?
If your home address falls under the bottom 25% of socioeconomic disadvantage places you will be eligible for SEIFA consideration. When you apply for UAC, if you are eligible they will notify you the very next day.

Alternatively, because it is base on ABS data you can have a look here. I cant post links for some reason but just google "ABS seifa map"

Please confirm next year whether UNSW Gateway considers SEIFA disadvantage as this is the first year they have included it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)