UNSW maths comp (1 Viewer)

maniacguy

By the second part you mean the part that said show it was less than 2?

Notice that a/(b+c) < 2a/(a+b+c) if a,b,c are the sides of a triangle.

(This follows from the fact that if a/b<c/d, a/b < (a+c)/(b+d) < c/d)

The result follows.
(There are other ways to do it, I know, but that for mine is the easiest way)

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
HEY i just got a letter saying i got a certificate and should attend something about careers in mathematics. what does it mean? do i get a prize? is it worth going?

:D

Wacky

Who me?
HSC
You got a letter? damn, that means I didn't get anything this year... If it says certificate it probably means just a certificate. If it was prize + certificate you get money. Its worth going - you get to see the uni, and guys in gowns present the awards, and some guy will inevitably show some real life use for maths, like with regard to money and stuff. On the other hand it also drags on forever. But you get to miss school!

Depends on how interested you are in maths relative to interest in school really.

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by turtle_2468
missing school + free hi quality orange juice + possible money = go.
1 hour of boring mathematical 'applications' lecture + congregating with weirdo maths nerds around the state + having your name placed in alphabetical order instead of by rank = don't bother going

Wacky

Who me?
HSC
Whoopdioo! I'm a weirdo math nerd. Got a letter today :)
Prize! Its placed in alphabetical order? never noticed that before...

Oh, and I think the orange juice made me sick the last time.. ort maybe it was the extra long car trip... but I know a whole lot of maths nerds, so it'll be a reunion.. I should know like 10 people! Estimates may not be accurate.

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
anyone who does good in the Maths comp who gets distinction ++++ are total freaks.....Math c0mp has no relevance to any mathematics

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Huh?
They sent letters to those who got Prizes already?
Should everyone who's getting a Prize receive a letter by now?

Wacky

Who me?
HSC
AFAIK, yes, and yes, unless you've changed your address, got your address wrong, or moved. Its in my school's weekly newsletter already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)