University offer (1 Viewer)

cheschue

HSC
I just got offered a course for biomedical science at notre dame is it a good university and should I go? I don't really see reviews, specifically for science. thanks!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I just got offered a course for biomedical science at notre dame is it a good university and should I go? I don't really see reviews, specifically for science. thanks!
If you have the option to go elsewhere e.g WSU, Macq, UTS, USYD... I would much rather go there not out of "prestige" (WSU, Macq aren't considered the prestigious Go8 for example) but moreso there's a decent intake of students, well-established facilities, teaching staff etc. *(you could say this is literally perks of prestige whcih it is lol but its moreso a rational explanation not just saying MUH UNIVERSITY BIG MONEY COME IN OK IT BETTER THAN UR TRASHY UNI)* which will mean better teaching quality, research/internship opportunities and networking.

A BIG BIG RED FLAG IMO is when degrees/courses/programs/anything does not have that much reviews since then you're rolling the dice with what you're receiving, you'll find thousands of reviews on UNSW CS which outline the shitty aspects as well as the perks and thats why you'll feel safe with heading into CS however you can't say the same for XX uni that no one knows.

Its best you consider all the pathways available and do your research on which university would further your goal whilst studying biomed science. What do you intend to achieve while studying is something you should ask yourself and see which unis will cater more to your need. I can't really answer this question in totality without projecting myself so personally I wouldn't.

cheschue

HSC
Why would you go to Notre dame of all universities
Ehh I'm considering it, I don't know whether to go or not, but I am researching I have other university backups but the course specifically intrigued me and I was curious if anyone is actually taking it and would help me figure out whether it is good to do or not :(

cheschue

HSC
If you have the option to go elsewhere e.g WSU, Macq, UTS, USYD... I would much rather go there not out of "prestige" (WSU, Macq aren't considered the prestigious Go8 for example) but moreso there's a decent intake of students and well-established facilities which will mean better teaching quality, research/internship opportunities and networking.

A BIG BIG RED FLAG IMO is when degrees/courses/programs/anything does not have that much reviews since then you're rolling the dice with what you're receiving, you'll find thousands of reviews on UNSW CS which outline the shitty aspects as well as the perks and thats why you'll feel safe with heading into CS however you can't say the same for XX uni that no one knows.

Its best you consider all the pathways available and do your research on which university would further your goal whilst studying biomed science. What do you intend to achieve while studying is something you should ask yourself and see which unis will cater more to your need. I can't really answer this question in totality without projecting myself so personally I wouldn't.
Oh Okay thank you

nsw..wollongong

HSC
THE ASSURED PATHWAY???? what was ur ucat bro even ppl with 3150 ucat got rejected 😭

ZackR

HSC
I believe you have found little information because this is the first year they are teaching the degree! There is the standard pathway (which you have gotten into) in which during your third year if you have maintained a GPA average of 3.8 (they use a 4.0 GPA system so this translates to an HD average) and receive a competitive score in the GAMSAT and CASPR you (and up to 65 students from the course) can be permitted into Notre Dames' post-graduate doctor of medicine course. I too have been looking into this degree and ended up calling their Sydney office, where I gained all the information. I too am considering this degree but after seeing the initial teething problems Macquarie had with their clinical science degree I do wonder whether this will have the same.

Hope this was helpful!

nsw..wollongong

HSC
I believe you have found little information because this is the first year they are teaching the degree! There is the standard pathway (which you have gotten into) in which during your third year if you have maintained a GPA average of 3.8 (they use a 4.0 GPA system so this translates to an HD average) and receive a competitive score in the GAMSAT and CASPR you (and up to 65 students from the course) can be permitted into Notre Dames' post-graduate doctor of medicine course. I too have been looking into this degree and ended up calling their Sydney office, where I gained all the information. I too am considering this degree but after seeing the initial teething problems Macquarie had with their clinical science degree I do wonder whether this will have the same.

Hope this was helpful!
there's also the assured and priority pathway course which doesn't need gamsat to get into postgrad med so long as u maintain a high gpa, but that needs ucat and interview rounds

ZackR

HSC
there's also the assured and priority pathway course which doesn't need gamsat to get into postgrad med so long as u maintain a high gpa, but that needs ucat and interview rounds
No, the priority pathway requires the 3.8GPA with GAMSAT + CASPR. I called and spoke to them yesterday about this.

ZackR

HSC
The assured pathway was admitted based off ATAR + UCAT but admissions for this have already closed.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
No, the priority pathway requires the 3.8GPA with GAMSAT + CASPR. I called and spoke to them yesterday about this.
not sure i just got off the phone with them bc they're offering scholarships and they said if u get a high enough gpa in priority pathway u can transfer to assured pathway and u don't have to sit the gamsat 🤷‍♀️

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing kids coming out of the school system should remember is that a good student will do well at any university, a university is an enabler of learning, it does not do the learning for you.

Notre Dame is quite a young institution compared to most, consequently it can be difficult to find program information as the programs will be changing often.

Notre Dame does also have a known MD program, which many of their programs offer direct entry to in the case where a student can retain a high enough GPA.

So, if you're interested in biosciences, you're likely going to find the quality of the program to be not dissimilar to biosciences at most other unis.

ZackR

HSC
not sure i just got off the phone with them bc they're offering scholarships and they said if u get a high enough gpa in priority pathway u can transfer to assured pathway and u don't have to sit the gamsat 🤷‍♀️
Just called them back to confirm this and no… you cannot move from priority to assured pathway. priority you have to get average 3.8gpa, caspr and gamsat. It is true however that the assured pathway doesn’t have the gamsat but you cannot move into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)